Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Celluse in attic, adding a floor

Hi All,

I currently have a walk in attic that was insluated by the previous home owner with Celluse blown in insulation. I would like to put a floor on the attic and finish this space. I will be insulating and vapour barriering the roof, but my question is for the floors. Should I remove the celluse or just floor right over top of it? And if I floor over top is there anything I should do first?

As this will be finsihed space and used quite often I am concerned with this being under the floor and getting disturbed as I walk on it. I know that celluose is not really a health concern (for now). But even if it is not, I am just thinking of the dust that may come out and should I just remove this before I floor?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

mikelscrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,000

#1 Are you 100% sure the floor joist are sized to allow a finished floor?
If you lay a proper subfloor with T&G 3/4 how is any dust going to get into the room?
Going to need a permit to add that room and make sure your egrees meets local codes.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 524

+1 to Joe's recommendations. The cellulose in the floor between two conditioned spaces will neither help nor hurt any thing much. I'd leave it in, maybe it will help sound travel a little bit. Your main concerns are going to be making sure that the construction of the finished space (including floor structure) and the insulation/sealing that you add around it are up to snuff.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the info, I will get in an expert to confirm the flooring supports to be safe. The structure did have a floor (1" planks) prior to the previous owner having it professionally removed with the Vermiculite that was under it originally.
mikelscrole is offline   Reply With Quote