DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ceiling Sound Insulation

22K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sbkim 
#1 ·
I am finishing my basement. This is just a "general use" basement, not a media room or anything like that. But, the television in the basement will be located directly under our master bedroom. The basement ceiling will be a drop ceiling and I intend to use tiles with decent sound absorption. The joists are 2 x 10 16" OC. I am planning to put some fiberglass insulation in the joists. I realize this will be of limited value but I think it will be better than nothing. I will probably use unfaced fiberglass with the wire rods to hold them in place. Should I use R13, R19, R30 or even R38? Does the thicker insulation make enough difference in sound to make it worth the extra money?

#7 ·
A bunch better. I just did mine and if the basement door is shut, you can't hear whats going on upstairs if your down or downstairs if your up.

I was very impressed with the sound deadening of Roxul.

I found Roxul user friendly too. Cut it with a regular steak knife or butcher knife. Doesn't make you itch either.

#8 ·
Great question. Is there significant difference in sound attenuation between R13 and R30 for ceilings? Based n my cursory research, I think some insulation is better than none but can't seem to find anything that thicker insulation is that much better. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.