Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Can't cool Condo

My son lives in a condo on the top section, the way its set up is he has a long stair way to his living space, the AC runs through the floor. the problem is under his floor are the 4 one car garages (one is his, three are other owners) when it gets hot, those garages are like ovens, and no matter how good the AC unit is, it doesn't stand a chance cooling his home. Other flaws that contribute to the situation are poor windows, and lack of insulation in the attic. so my question is where should he start and where? I suppose the attic portion is the easy part. but how do you get insulation under his floor, I know you can go in his garage and they can drill holes and blow it in the garage ceiling, but what about the other garages, I'm sure his neighbors would not want him to drill holes in their garage, any ideas here?

turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 582

Can't cool Condo

Address the insulation first. You are on the right track with insulation and air sealing in the attic, followed by dense packing the floors. Could be addressed from above or below, but will likely require some cooperation with other condo owners regardless. The holes would be patched, so if i at your (son's) expense, I don't really see why the other owners would take issue.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Can't cool Condo

Sounds like a loosing situation.
A lot of the needed repairs may be restricted by what the association will allow him to do.
Need to start at the top. What's type roof and soffit venting is there?
How much and what type insulation is there now? In your area it should be R40 to 50 = 12".
Would they even allow him to change the windows?
There is no just blowing in more insulation under the floor. Most likely there's already insulation in there. Builders tend to under insulate and not air seal that area to save money.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Home Performance

Can't cool Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sounds like a loosing situation.
A lot of the needed repairs may be restricted by what the association will allow him to do.
Need to start at the top. What's type roof and soffit venting is there?
How much and what type insulation is there now? In your area it should be R40 to 50 = 12".
Would they even allow him to change the windows?
There is no just blowing in more insulation under the floor. Most likely there's already insulation in there. Builders tend to under insulate and not air seal that area to save money.
I have never met a condo association that has any say over insulation. Very rare for them to disallow window replacement as well, as long as you work within their specified parameters on exterior appearance/colors. I'd reiterate however that unless all other areas are up to par, window replacement is probably at the bottom of the list.
Dense packing the floor cavities with cellulose is blowing insulation under the floor, and it will provide higher r-value, better resistance to airflow, and sound as opposed to whatever fg is in there. That said, the "bang for the buck" of that item will depend on what is in there currently and other factors. The attic is definitely the place to start.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #5

Can't cool Condo

They jus put on a new roof last week, I went up in the attic, he only has roll out insulation in between the joists, doesn't look like more than the min roll of 6-8" IF THAT. I don't believe they put in a ridge vent, because of the expense and I'd see that in the attic, really not much venting either, so I assume the vents are in the eves, but that said, I don't see any baffles either, ? which is more of a concern, because adding insulation without proper venting is just as bad. I'm going to have a guy stop over and take a look in the attic and garage and give me some options.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
Home Performance

Can't cool Condo

good idea on getting a professional opinion. Most of the advice that we can offer here is only speculation based on an incomplete picture of what is going on... I'd talk to a home performance/insulation professional as opposed to another roofer.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (05-14-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 610

Can't cool Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
I have never met a condo association that has any say over insulation. Very rare for them to disallow window replacement as well, as long as you work within their specified parameters on exterior appearance/colors. I'd reiterate however that unless all other areas are up to par, window replacement is probably at the bottom of the list.
Dense packing the floor cavities with cellulose is blowing insulation under the floor, and it will provide higher r-value, better resistance to airflow, and sound as opposed to whatever fg is in there. That said, the "bang for the buck" of that item will depend on what is in there currently and other factors. The attic is definitely the place to start.
I just sold my condo and retired as pres of association. In our case, all an owner owned was studs in. If it was an outside wall, it was associations ownership.

Having said that, if he were willing to perform reinsulation to code and repair damage done, we would not have an issue assisting.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #8

Can't cool Condo

The issue here is it is in code I believe but not enough to keep it cool
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #9

Can't cool Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
The issue here is it is in code I believe but not enough to keep it cool

Sorry don't understand this.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

Can't cool Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Sorry don't understand this.
if their is enough insulation that makes code, the association would not help, in the event it does not, I would think they would pay only the amount to make code.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #11

Can't cool Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
if their is enough insulation that makes code, the association would not help, in the event it does not, I would think they would pay only the amount to make code.

Yeah not sure about that, but interpretation and laws where you are is key.

I can tell you that we as a condo board here in Texas, accepted no responsibility for what the original builder failed to do or the actions of an owner. If it was within the studs of the owned unit, it was the owners responsibility but, must be made in accordance to our by-laws and guidance of the board.

In other words, if a unit needed a door or a new complete window unit, the board would issue the guidelines as to what color, design and that the repair must be repaired in accordance to our by-laws and the owner paid for it. If they refused, we would make the repair and apply an assessment to their unit and collect it with interest when the unit was sold.