Bsement Blanket Wall Insulation?? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bsement blanket wall insulation??

I have a 1500 sq feet unfinished walkout basement. 1/3 of the walls is framed and lined with R-11 fiberglass batts with no drywall covering the batts..The rest of the walls are the concrete foundation.
We do not utilize the basement for anything but storage. But in the winter, it is significantly colder down there than upstairs and the furnace ductwork stays cold so that it seems to have an effect on the heat that the furnace puts out upstairs.
Would adding blanket wall insulation all around the basement help significantly so that the expense of adding it would be offset by the energy savings?
Any and all opinions would be welcome. Thanks.

Advertisement

billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Bag the blanket insulation. Search here and/or buildingscience.com. You should use rigid foam, taping/sealing edges, or closed cell spray foam. No vapor barrier, esp below grade, and no batt insulation. Is it economical? Probably so; it depends on your heat loss, of course; you or someone else will have to run the numbers on that.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

What temp is the thermostat set at? Also, have you sealed all air leaks around windows, doors, outlet boxes, and insulation in the attic space? The basement insulation would not have an affect on the main living area.

My basement only has R-13 batts around the Sill & Rim joist areas, none on the walls, and during winter, it will get around and stay at about 58, but the upstairs is 68 with no cold feeling.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

For your comfort and added energy savings my opinion is to insulate the walls. Seal everything Greg mentioned as well as the exterior window trim.

My basement temp is the same or even a degree or two warmer than the upstairs. Its significantly cooler in the summer. Thats with no a/c running just the furnace fan circulating from May to Sept.

Read this:

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/mah...efcosa_002.cfm
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #5

One addendum to what was mentioned above: "The basement insulation would not have an affect on the main living area." True, as long as the heat source can keep up with the heat loss to the basement. However, you are dumping btu's to the basement as long as it is cooler than upstairs. Insulate the walls and you may even find that your upstairs floor is warmer.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

jklingel, actually I find that it does not affect my upstairs, with just two vents for downstairs, and a return. The OP problem is most likely going to be found upstairs, but without knowing where they live, for all we know is that they may reside in the Artic Circle, which yes, insulating the downstairs helps.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #7

My point is this: Regardless of location, if the basement is cooler than the upstairs, as the OP mentioned, then heat is going to it from upstairs. P, EOS. If the heat source outpaces the losses, then, no, you won't "feel" the losses, but they are there nonetheless. After all, we don't necessarily "feel" the heat losses out of our house in ANY direction, assuming we can keep the temp "comfortable". Again, is the ROI such that investing in insulation is economical? Dunno. As I said earlier, that depends on the amount of heat loss, cost of fuel and foam, labor (if it is the traditional DIY 60-minutes/hr, labor is cheap), etc.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Actually it won't. Convection currents will keep th upstairs warm, and as long as there are vents opn in the basement, the basement area would stay reasonable.

If they did insulate the basement, thwre is more to it than just slapping a few blankets of insulation on the walls.

I would suggest to the OP to place some type of remotw thermostat down there, so that you an read the temps from upstairs, and compare to those in the main living area

Even if the furnace is running like it should and cycling normal as it should, the basement will have no affect on thw main floor.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #9

"... the basement will have no affect on thw main floor." One last time.... I don't know if we are maybe looking at this from different angles. Maybe you are talking about "perceived effect"? The colder basement has an effect on the warmer upstairs, perceived or not. If the basement is colder, it is taking heat from the house, just like the colder outside air is doing(when it is colder outside. When it is warmer, the reverse holds true.) That is not debatable; it is physics: Heat goes to cold (in our jargon. Entropy and all that for the physics folks.) If you want to save energy, stop air movement and insulate. If you heat the basement to the same temp as the upstairs, only then will the basement have "no effect" on the upstairs. It is the "heat the basement" part; that takes fuel. How much insulation depends on.... see above.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

It has never had an affect on our main living area. Our furnace cycles 2 times a hour, and stays at a stable temp. It would be different if I did not go around and air seal around windows, outlets, insulate the rim & sill joists. Yes, everyones homes are different along with the hvac systems, but not placing insulation on the concrete walls, with most basements at least 8 feet underground, or like mine, at least 6 feet under ground.

Now if the OP is way up north, and has at least one side open to the air, yes it will make a difference if they do not have ground or even XPS along that wall.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,032

Down to the frost line for your area would help: http://www.quadlock.com/technical_li...Insulation.pdf

Scientific results, pp. 69: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis

Gary

Advertisement