Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Share |
Angry

-Boilerhouse condensation problem

I am currently renovating a terraced house and would like some help regarding the outside boilerhouse. It was previously used as an outside toilet and has a solid reinforced concrete slab for a roof. The walls are a thick solid construction - I suspect stone. There is a small ventilation grille at high level - about 200mm x 200mm. The space itself is about 1000mm x 1500.

At the moment there is a fair bit of condensation on the ceiling - something I would like to avoid as I plan on putting in a boiler in this space! I was thinking of installing polystyrene on the underside of the ceiling and topping this up with PVC panelling to reduce the coldness of the surface.

If anybody has any advice on this I would be very grateful.

PondaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #2

If the boiler is warm all the time, you may not get any condensation. Insulating on the outside is generally the best; you want to keep the material you are insulating warm, but that may take a lot of insulation. Maybe you could try the boiler and see if you have trouble, then move on to insulating????

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the response jklingel.

I may just do that. I would certainly expect the level of condensation to be reduced once the boiler goes in, even though the modern boilers are fairly well insulated so don't throw out alot of heat. Having said this I am also going to install a wood burning stove inside the house so all being well the boiler will mostly be used to heat the hot water only (90% of the time).
PondaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote