Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

blown-in insulation, can it be done

Hi Guys,

i live in 1.5 story cottage, with basically has no insulation in the walls, the house was built in 1943 with 2X4 studded walls. We are looking to insulate the walls and also redo the siding of the house which is currently aluminum siding sitting over older(original) asbestos siding!

one option we are looking at is removing the aluminum siding, then drill holes from the exterior to blow in the insulation (cellulose) into the existing walls.and finally re-side the house.

the question is, can this be done? for one I've heard that drilling through asbetos siding is not a good idea, and second the construction on my walls are such that im not sure the blow-in insulation is possible. I've attached several picture showing the contrution of the wall, basically the starting from the outside, you have the siding, tar paper, tong&groove wood sheating, 2X4, tar paper, then 1 inch space, then gyprock lath and plaster. (see attached pic with blue print)

if I were to blow in insulation from the outside, would it blow past the tar paper and fill the inch gap, could this be an issue? would there be vapor issues as well.

Thanks is advance for your help

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
blown-in insulation, can it be done-photo.jpg  
Attached Images

newb19777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 510

I have a friend who is an insulation contractor. He would start by releasing the tabs that hold one of the aluminum siding panes and "bend" it up. In your case, after he did this, he would, if possible, pull the nails on the composite tile and remove it. After that it is as simple as drilling the hole and filling the cavity. I don't think the machine he uses would blow thru the paper on the inside of the wall (interesting construction by the way).

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the input danpik

I was just calling a few places here, doesnt seem like many people offer this service!

one contractor told me that the there could be moisture issues and the theres also a possibility of blowing though the plaster, it this possible?

I was also wondering, lets say I blow through the paper on some of the cavities, could this create air gaps here and there

When you say interesting contruction, is that a good or bad thing? mind you this is 1943 standards
Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

one of our houses had insulation blown in from the exterior---Years ago.

We are recently opening up walls to rewire and surprisingly the insulation blown in from outside filled the cavities quite well
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

did you like the results? did it make a big difference on heat consumption?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Depends on which cellulose application you are looking at. Dense packing cellulose will rip the paper and fill the cavity, regular cellulose may not, depends on the applicator; direction of nozzle, delivery pressure, number of holes for installation,length of time at each hole, etc. http://www.karg.com/pdf/Insulaton_de...and_Biddle.pdf

http://www.mnshi.umn.edu/kb/scale/in...densepack.html

With DP blowing out the paper to the Gyplap, you may not have any more convective loops as the cavity insulation will warm it enough to prevent them. Both the Gyplap (23 perms) and the tar paper (5-30 perms) are vapor open and would not cause a moisture problem, IMO. Even asbestos siding (4-8 perms) is open, unless it had an oil paint or inside kitchen/bathrooms used a lead/oil or enamel paint with low perm rating requiring drying only to the inside/outside; https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...CTJg2Hd02bG4rQ
Whoever you use, be sure they verify every cavity is filled (pic of angled 2x wall bracing) with a thermal imaging camera.

Gary