Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Blown Fiberglass or Cellulose?

We are having a new roof put on next month. It is currently the original 1978 roof of spanish tile with no decking or paper. We are going with lightweight concrete tile with plywood decking and double underlayment. At the same time we are having them take out the old blown-in insulation and blow in new insulation to R38. The roofing company blows in Owens Corning AttiCat fiberglass insulation. Any opinions on this product?

I was leaning towards blown-in cellulose because there are suppose to be less health issues compared to fiberglass. In the future I will also need to do some work in the attic putting in a couple of ceiling fans and running some electrical wires so I didn't want to go digging through a bunch of scratchy, itchy fiberglass. However, in the showroom they have a display of the AttiCat insulation and it looks like pink cellulose. I picked it up in my bare hands and rubbed it on my arms and there was no discomfort afterwards.

So is the AttiCat blown-in insulation a different animal than the blown-in fiberglass insulation I've read about? Should I get someone else that uses cellulose to blow in the attic insulation?

Thanks.

kenmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Rob

Blown Fiberglass or Cellulose?

I don't know about the AttiCat blown-in insulation but the cellulose is a little heavier than fiberglass. I hate the fiberglass. I need to look into AttiCat blown-in insulation.

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation attic