Blown In Or Batts? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

blown in or batts?

OK Heres a question do most people like blown in insulation for the attic or batts? I have been going back and forth with both and really need to make a decision here pretty quick. Pros and cons of both please........

Advertisement

stvktchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 508

blown in or batts?

I vote blown in for attic.
You will get better coverage, attics always has wires and ductwork and mechanicals running through them.
Blow it in and will settle down around these areas, although may need a little help pushing it around by hand.
Still easier then trying to cut bats and fit them in place.
You will get more r-value with blown in, is just many advantages with blown in.

Rent the machine to blow it in, have a helper down below feeding the machine while you direct it .... will have a quality job in about 1 hour.
Using bats you will be at it all day cutting and fitting, still may not be as good of a job as blown in.

Advertisement

creeper (11-10-2012), woodworkbykirk (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

blown in or batts?

I second the motion for blown in. Same reasons. You will be able to get the nooks and crannys with no gaps
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

blown in or batts?

Another vote for blown in too. You have lots of material choices now too. Cellulose, fiberglass, recycled denim, et al.

That said, batts are somewhat easier to work with I guess and do not require you to rent the equipment. You did not mention how much you have to do and whether you are insulating just the ceiling or between the roof rafters too? Obviously rolls or batts work best for the latter. Spending the money to do the rafters may seem overkill but you will be surprised at how much energy is lost, even with high R value for the ceiling, through the rafters.

Do make sure if you blow in attic insulation you do not block off any vents and ventilation paths your home needs to breathe. Or make sure to clear them when the insulation is in place.

I know I am kind of a preachy nuts about sketches and drawings but others mentioned insulation is great at covering and encasing wiring, plumbing, etc. You might want to measure and do an attic floorplan showing where any electrical, plumbing and ventilation runs are before insulating so you do not have to shovel tons out of the way if you ever need to service something. Your drawing will remind you where and which direction electrical, plumbing, etc. runs.

I like Sweet Home 3D for simple floorplan things like this. It is as accurate as you want it to be, has a low learning curve, and is free open source software. Others like Google Sketch Up. Graph paper works too!

If budget allows, building yourself a plywood catwalk structure to get to things in the attic makes sense when insulating and for other tasks to come? As I have became a tad more pleasantly portly, I realized I could not walk directly on ceiling drywall anymore without screws holding it screaming a bit! And crawling around on plywood sure beats hobbling on knees placed OC on celing joists.

Last edited by user1007; 11-10-2012 at 01:30 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
creeper (11-10-2012), forcedreno2012 (11-11-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

blown in or batts?

What type of material are you looking at? Have you already air-sealed the attic? Where are you located?

Gary
Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,708

blown in or batts?

blow in cellulose. get the machine for free 24hrs at home depot. build a catwalk. take a bunch of pictures. and, depending on the size of the attic, other things i don't know could be up there, how much you are blowing in, and your helper = its going to take more than an hour
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

blown in or batts?

And baby powder was a trick tought me by guys that did only insulation. Cover yourself in it and you will not only smell really pretty (and what woman would not love the smell of big, burly, manly man, sweaty but smelling like an infant?) but it will block many of your skin pores so insulation can only sit on the surface.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (11-11-2012)