Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom insulation removal

Hi,

I've read several of the threads dealing with insulation on some level. I am demolishing my bathroom due to constant issues with mold/mildew and very little ventilation.

Needless to say, there was mold on the drywall (no cement wallboard or moisture barrier) and the insulation looked discolored; some was black and the paper was thin.

Can I safely take the insulation myself? and replace it. I have demolished and retiled an very similar bathroom, but there was nothing like this to deal with.

thanks for the advise.
Renee

recanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

This is more of a water proofing question than anything else. It seems you already know to put a waterproofing layer, so to answer your insulation question, yes, just put back as much as you reasonably fit in there (R-13 probably if it's a wall). But just make sure you are aware where the water was coming from if it's an outside wall, it could be coming from the outside too. In our case the water source was the window that wasn't sealed properly (we replaced the window which was fairly cheap and easy, and caulked it properly this time). We had other water damage from the shower, and I'll detail what we did for a waterproofing solution.

You need a water proofing membrane behind the tile. For the walls use something like Schluter Kerdi. For the floor (if it's a tile floor not bath tub) use Kerdi Ditra.

you basically have to rip out the tile and durock, and put them back in this order.

Stud Wall -> Durock -> Kerdi waterproofing membrane -> Tile

you put a layer of thinset between the Durock and Kerdi waterproofing membrane, and then tile like you normally would.

http://www.schluter.com/2080.aspx

Hope that helps

Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,118

Why is there no ventalation?
Going to have the same issure if you do not add some.
Got some pictures?
Old house? No sheathing or house wrap?