Basement: XPS Insulation And Slab Reliefs - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement: XPS Insulation and Slab Reliefs

Hey folks,

So I'm getting ready to finish my basement here in the near future. It's about 75% underground (one wall is open) and I have a 1.5 inch wide relief cut all the way around the slab, where it meets the block walls.

I plan on using the XPS foam on the walls for insulation/vapor barrier, and then probably using metal studs to finish it.

But, I have that relief cut on the bottom...and I'm not sure what (if anything) I need to do with that.

I had the floor poured about 3 years ago and (looks around...knocks on wood) I've never had any issues with flooding (been in the house 10 years and never had any flooding)...and about that same time I had the gutters replaced and made sure water doesn't sit anywhere near the foundation.

Anyway, I was just trying to find what the best bet is, as far as dealing with insulation, finishing the walls and that cut relief.

Thanks!

damon

Advertisement

Subliminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Do you have a picture? Might be an expansion joint.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

Basically, when I had the contractor come in and pour the flood I had him:

put perforated hose under the floor in 4 inch of clean stone, leading to a sump pit that has a below grade output in the woods (gravity fed). Then, I was still worried about possible moisture, so he put a ring a 2x4 around the walls and poured the floor...which then left a 1.5 inch relief all the way around..so if water WERE to come through the walls, it'd go into that relief channel.

It's kind of hard to see, but this is the best photo I could find:

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmz2562rpj...2015.07.53.jpg

I'm in NJ, so I have a substantial amount of moisture in the air, and run a dehumidifier in the summer...but when I finish this room off, I'm trying to (obviously) keep it as dry as possible. ;-)
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

In this case, if you are worried about wall moisture infiltration, you need to leave and area for the wall to drain from behind the foam board but still block off that area from room air to limit any radon or moisture/humidity.

What size foam are you going to use?

If you were going with 2" foam, I would run the foam right tight to the floor and seal the connection between the floor and the foam.

Make sure you glue in vertical strips to allow the water to drain out.

If you are going with 1" foam, you may have to rip a strip of foam to glue to the bottom of the board to seal off the slab to foam board connection.

By the time you rip it down and all the other hassle, 2" might be easier and more time effective.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #5

Roger that! Thanks for the replies. I'm actually no longer worried about water getting in...as with many things, hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I had never had those reliefs cut.

What would one use for sealing the floor/foam connection? And would one seal at the top of the wall as well?

Thanks again!

damon
Old 06-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Any good compatible sealant will work.

Advertisement