Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Share |

basement walls

whats steps are necessary before drywall. foam board? vapor barrier? insulation?

basement in south central PA, concrete floor, superior walls.
Attached Thumbnails
basement walls-img_4122.jpg   basement walls-img_4123.jpg  

Dantro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

basement walls

Might was to try and use the search funtion on this site. There's at least 1000 replys and suggestion on this one subject.
Adding your location to your profile will be a big help on questions like this.
Just go to Quick links to edit.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

basement walls

i've found that i want to go styrofoam not fiberglass. my next question would be , vapor barrier, needed? where?
Dantro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

basement walls

Looks like you have XPS against the walls already in this case.

Seal up the rim joist area and spray foam/seal all the gaps.

after that you can insulate with standard batting (Mineral wool is preferable) and drywall.

Be sure to drywall according to ADA.

Happy Easter!
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

basement walls

well, as WoW points out, a few minor things and you're good to go! But your next question is a bit more "open" for discussion - the one about vapor barriers.

IMO, and from where you are geographically, there may not be a need for a vapour retarder nor a vapor barrier unless that is if you have a serious humidity problem in that basement of yours. If not, then I'd opt for a mold and mildew-resistant insulation (it looks as though you have 3-4 inches of space between the studs) - such as 'Roxul' - then drywall with mold and mildew-resistant blueboard, then prime and paint with a latex paint.

That should be all you need...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by ccarlisle; 03-30-2013 at 11:07 AM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

basement walls

I'd check your paper work on the system, if available. That panel comes in R-5 or R-12.5. (From the "Homeowner guide"; http://www.superiorwalls.com/tech_resources) For your location, you need the R-12.5. You need to know which wall you have. You can also just measure the stud depth (concrete stud depth plus the 1" SPF ans steel stud; minus the 1-3/4" concrete facing). http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGE&cad=rja

I agree XPS (as their B.G. says= to cover them (liability) against condensation) in the cavities because of your location AND the thermal bridging of the concrete studs (.08 per in.) with open-cell SPF used on them 1" thick (3.6 per in.) at 16"on-center. What is the measurement?

Gary
Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #7

basement walls

An added thought, you may need special (steel stud) screws for the drywall because of the steel studs and the added 1/2" plywood strips (that won't hold much, because of their thickness and also depending on how securely they were fastened). Air-tight the drywall, as said already; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...l_seal_rev.pdf

Gary