Basement Wall Insulation Question - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
DIY Expert

Rewards Points: 25

Basement Wall Insulation Question

Ok so I'm remodeling my basement and trying to do it the right way instead of the way the previous owner did.

So far, I have 2" EPS on the concrete block wall, 2x4 PT wood for a plate under 20 gauge metal track with metal studs, all tapcon'd to the concrete floor. Now where I'm confused is, if I should put unfaced batts between the studs or not. I've had moisture problems in the past but I think the interior drains and sump pump will resolve the majority of the issues.

I usually don't put fiberglass batts anywhere in a basement due to it holding moisture/molding but I don't see the 2" EPS foam board really providing much R value.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

doublejz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

There's well over 2000 post on this one subject. Look at the top of the page and go to search.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

if the eps is well sealed, it is doing what is stated for its density, which is better than any wall can do, regardless of insulation type; the wood will lower the overall wall r value. you can always jam more eps between the studs, leaving a gap large enough for Great Stuff to fill. or, use roxul insulation. it is superior to fg in a couple of ways.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote