Basement Insulation In Toronto, - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Unhappy

basement insulation in Toronto,

I am renovating a basement laundry/bathroom and have a question on insulation. I have glued 1" foam board to exterior cement block walls and then tuck taped all seams. i then put up a regular 2x4 wall about 5" from the foam because i needed to run dryer ducting and water pipes, my question is should i also insulate 2x4 wall with roxul (like picture below)or would that create a moisture problem in the 5" gap between exterior wall and new framed wall

or should i not insulate new wall at all.

please see photo and excuse my wording as i am diy lol
Attached Images

Advertisement

Braddiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I think you can insulate as there can never be too much insulation. However I think you do NOT put a vapor barrier because the foam acts as one. Though I'm curious to see what others say since I've been wanting to do my basement and I will probably do something similar. On the other hand the VB normally goes on the hot side, so really not sure what the rule is with something like this.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,052

The Roxul does not act as a vapor barrier. The air space between the foam/frame wall-insulation is bad for creating convective loops; http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/743 In the U.S., it is against code as we fire-stop frame walls every 10' horizontally as well as at the top plate/ceiling joist cavity. Otherwise a wall outlet fire could spread quickly through the top plates gap along any of the ceiling joist cavities, up through a wiring/plumbing hole at the other side/end of the basement, even to the attic setting the sheathing/asphalt roofing on fire. Then the roof is burning down as the basement is burning up. Fire-blocking; #21; How to fireblock framing

As far as v.b., for you locally: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...Insulation.pdf

And in general; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis

Gary
P.S. I'll move this thread to "Insulation" unless you are making a "How to guide"?
Braddiy (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I was talking mostly about the foam itself acting as VB, though I'm not sure if it does or not.

And good point on the fire consideration. That foam stuff burns quite nicely.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,506

The problem with using the foil faced foam board before the Roxul, is just going to cause problems. For the OP, you really need to tear all of that down and start it from the beginning properly.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #6

Foil-faced foamboard is fine if: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...r_code_changes

Gary
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,506

For one a basement is not a wood framed structure, and 2 those rules only apply to the U.S., not the Canucks.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #8

Read my highlights from that link: "However, a Class I vapor control layer could be used in a below grade assembly under the following conditions: (a) no moisture-sensitive material is trapped between the concrete and the Class I vapor control layer, (b) this space is completely isolated from air communication with the interior, and (c) the Class I vapor control layer is protected from interior-sourced condensation. An example of this assembly would be foil-faced polyisocyanurate applied to the basement wall, with the gap between insulation and concrete isolated and air sealed from the interior." From; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...r_code_changes

In Canada, 3.4 under "Vapor diffusion control", #4- foam plastic is acceptable as a vapor barrier on concrete below grade on concrete walls; http://archive.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/ib...199/part3.html with or without a wood frame wall inboard.

Here is a study by BSC written by a Canadian about 4 Canadian cities, including the use of XPS; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent-insulation

Gary

Advertisement

Tags
bathroom addition , framing , insulation basement , laundry room , vapor barrier