Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Insulation Question ?

I recently gutted my basement and want to start adding insulation. I'm unsure whether I should be using foam board insulation against the foundation walls, or whether I should be using the fiber glass insulation to the studs that are off the wall. I've read conflicting thoughts on this. Can someone provide some guidance. I'm in NY.

Jim Ignatowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

There are no conflicting thoughts on this matter.

Foam board is more expensive but the preferred way to properly insulated your basement walls in conjunction with interstitial wall insulation.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #3

I appreciate the response. I do have room for both. I'd prefer not to screw into my foundation walls, can you recommend an adhesive for mounting the foam board? Thx
Old 01-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

There are foam specific glues and they are widely available at your normal hardware outlets.

Start gluing and insulating.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #5

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_...d-Adhesive.htm
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #6

Thanks Everyone! Appreciate it
Old 01-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
There are no conflicting thoughts on this matter.

Foam board is more expensive but the preferred way to properly insulated your basement walls in conjunction with interstitial wall insulation.
You're right, there may not be conflicting thoughts on it but it can be difficult for us noobs to sort through all the science involved and make sense of it. People want to just throw FG in and call it good when the reality is that differing types of insulation function differently, and when you factor in the various aspects of conduction/convection/radiation spiced with a dash of thermal bridging it can be a tad daunting.

The input from all the mavens here is greatly appreciated
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #8

I have a follow-up question on this if someone has the time. If the foam board is not continuous because of obstructions, will that nullify the effect? Meaning if I can only cover 3/4 of the foundation wall with foam board, will that still help or make things worse?

This is an old house where everything was originally mounted on the concrete walls, electrical receptacles were embedded, etc... Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #9

The amount of wall you cover is saving the most on your heating bill; http://www.quadlock.com/technical_li...Insulation.pdf

Which Zone are you located in?; http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCode...ate=New%20York

Gary
rrudd2 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #10

Great info ... Thanks Gary! I'm located in Zone 4
Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDaveGuy View Post
You're right, there may not be conflicting thoughts on it but it can be difficult for us noobs to sort through all the science involved and make sense of it. People want to just throw FG in and call it good when the reality is that differing types of insulation function differently, and when you factor in the various aspects of conduction/convection/radiation spiced with a dash of thermal bridging it can be a tad daunting.

The input from all the mavens here is greatly appreciated
Dave,

I do not doubt that the information is tough to sort through and I assure that it is difficult for the pros to keep up the science and ever evolving technology.

I promise you that if you asked 10 contractors the same question on insulation, you would get 10 different answers and probably 8 or better would be wrong by current building science standards.

Keep on researching and you will find out what is right for your application, home, and climate.

Guys like Gary, jklingel, Tom Struble, Joecaption, etc., provide a wealth of both technical and application information. Pick through their posts and you are getting the benefit of over a hundred years of experience.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #12

For your location, R-10 foam board or R-13 cavity fill is required. If you check locally you should be able to mix-n-match to get total R-value. If not, show the inspector this, pp. 11 or 12, footnote "c" for "basement insulation"; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGU&cad=rja

Keep in mind the more cavity fill fibrous you add; the weaker it makes the foam board against condensation; the colder the inside face of FB. R-10 FB and no cavity fill is fine and optimum, the cavity moisture will be controlled by the HVAC as the studs/insulation is in the conditioned space; http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weather...20Bulletin.pdf

Option 2; less amount of FB, with some cavity insulation; need closest large city to figure local dew-points based on foam thickness....

Option 3; wood frame wall with cavity insulation only. If choosing this, I can explain it better.

Gary
PS. Dave, add WoW to that list! Thanks!

Last edited by Gary in WA; 01-28-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #13

I have nothing but praise for this site, the people here sharing their expertise so willingly have taught me a great deal and saved me a lot of time and effort. Just reading through threads that have no bearing whatsoever on my projects has taught me a lot in details or materials or sometimes just looking at a problem differently.

Maybe the single most important thing I have gotten from reading here is the realization that there is no ONE answer to any of it, assessing and diagnosing my particular situation is the hardest part but the one that determines the outcome. Having this kind of access to pros that know is one of my most valuable tools.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatDaveGuy For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #14
Exterior Construction

Roger that.

That is why we ask folks so many time to post up where the home is, what their home construction is, picture, etc.

Keep researching and know that you are miles ahead of 99% of your other homeowners in your knowledge base and thoughtful approach.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #15

Any other questions, Jim?

Gary

Tags
basement, foam, foundation, insulation