Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement insulation - 2" rigid foam

Hi,
I'm in the process of building a workshop in my basement. I"m using 2" Rigid foam boards, glued and taped to the exterior walls. I was going to use spray foam to seal the top and bottom of the boards. The plan is to than put up 2x4 walls in front of the foam, and than drywall. The entire basement wall is below grade. House was built in 1955.

A few questions.
Is it necessary to fill the cavity with fiberglass insulation ?

I was also going to fit foam along rim joists and wanted to know if those areas should also be covered with drywall.

Also, do I need to put in fire blocking, and if so, where and how ?

Thanks

could post pictures if needed

diggerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,002

1. It is best to fill the cavity.
2. They should be covered with some sort of thermal barrier whether it is drywall or insulation.
3. Depends on the structure. County codes vary. Most fire blocking is drywall and pretty straightforward.

Pictures will help.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #3

I meant do I have to fill the 2x4 wall with fiberglass insulation ? Isn't the 2" foam enough ?

Added some pictures.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,002

Fiberglass is cheap and will improve the overall wall performance.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerd View Post
Hi,
I'm in the process of building a workshop in my basement. I"m using 2" Rigid foam boards, glued and taped to the exterior walls. I was going to use spray foam to seal the top and bottom of the boards. The plan is to than put up 2x4 walls in front of the foam, and than drywall. The entire basement wall is below grade. House was built in 1955.

A few questions.
Is it necessary to fill the cavity with fiberglass insulation ?----- you could get convective loops in the empty cavities moving heat around; http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/743

I was also going to fit foam along rim joists and wanted to know if those areas should also be covered with drywall. ---- not required by most building codes in that location; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...016_par015.htm

Also, do I need to put in fire blocking, and if so, where and how ?----- yes, between the house mudsill and the new wall to prevent fire from reaching joist cavities. Every 10' horizontally, #21, 22: How to fireblock framing

Thanks

could post pictures if needed
Added my answers in quote box, Gary
P.S. You really need egress opening for the basement, those windows are too high, too small...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #6

Thanks for info and links. About the windows, we had a bulkhead put in after we bought the house. When we replaced the front door, I had that door installed at the bottom of the bulkhead steps.

The Following User Says Thank You to diggerd For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (10-10-2012)