Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Basement Decision!?

Hello everyone.
Been lurking a while.. decided it was well worth my time to register.

Have a question for someone to give some expert advice on...
Just recently purchased a new house in Ontario... So rather cold winters.
I am planning on finishing the basement starting this upcoming weekend. The builder has put 'blanket' style poly insulation directly on the concrete walls down below the frost line. The bottom foot is not covered with this material. My question is, I am on the fence whether or not to stud over this builders insulation, or should I tear it down and put up rigid insulation against the concrete, stud in front and then but batt insulation in between the studs?
Obviously one way will cost more, but we plan on using the basement for quite a few things... (movie room, poker room, wet bar etc etc) and will most likely make it much warmer in the winter months.

By studding over the stuff that is there, I lose about 7" around the perimeter of the basement on all walls, which seems significant to me..

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers
Shawn
Tuuluuwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

Basement Decision!?

according to my opinion you should to tear it down and put up rigid insulation against the concrete. this will be better as compare to all of others. nice to have this.
nobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #3

Basement Decision!?

Yep, I would highly suggest 2" of xps directly on concrete and frame a 2x4 wall in front of that. Lots of great posts on this site pertaining to that with more detail, but it will give you more room and give the proper moisture and condensation protection.
TimMauriello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #4

Basement Decision!?

Thanks for the respones so far guys.
In your opinion, would it be better to frame the 2x4 wall tight up against the rigid insulation or leave a gap. I have heard arguements on both sides. Trying to find a defining point that wins the battle.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

Basement Decision!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuuluuwag
Thanks for the respones so far guys.
In your opinion, would it be better to frame the 2x4 wall tight up against the rigid insulation or leave a gap. I have heard arguements on both sides. Trying to find a defining point that wins the battle.
If you are going with the xps tight on the concrete the only reasons to leave a gap to the framing would be to square up the room or maybe if there were pipes in the way. Even if you want to put some additional insulation in the stud cavities there would enough room with it tight to the xps.

Generally, gaps were used to help with moisture coming off the concrete, but the xps will control that.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #6

Basement Decision!?

Tim - That is what I have heard .. so it sounds like a knowledgeable answer. I will go with that.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #7

Basement Decision!?

No problem! Another great source of info on basement insulation is...

http://www.homeconstructionimproveme...ulation-guide/
Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #8

Basement Decision!?

Good Luck for you!

Carlos2sun is offline   Reply With Quote