DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Insulation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/)
-   -   attic moisture (http://www.diychatroom.com/f103/attic-moisture-127181/)

altann 12-20-2011 11:49 AM

attic moisture
 
I have a 2 year old addition complete runs of soffit vents with proper vents two feet r38 of insulation in attic cobra mesh ridge vent and my attic is covered with moisture. Could the ridge vent mesh be nailed down so tight that no air can get out of ridge and by this not allowing air to come in? I plan on replacing ridge vent soon its all I can think of to solve this problem.
ThanKs

Windows on Wash 12-20-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altann (Post 798464)
I have a 2 year old addition complete runs of soffit vents with proper vents two feet r38 of insulation in attic cobra mesh ridge vent and my attic is covered with moisture. Could the ridge vent mesh be nailed down so tight that no air can get out of ridge and by this not allowing air to come in? I plan on replacing ridge vent soon its all I can think of to solve this problem.
ThanKs

100% yes.

Get it off right away and replaced with a proper ridge vent (assuming your intake air is not blocked).

This will be about the 3rd home I have seen this happen on via the threads and one that I personally observed with a huge mold plume on the sheathing.

Get it off ASAP.

Get your roofer out there to warranty the work.

altann 12-20-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 798468)
100% yes.

Get it off right away and replaced with a proper ridge vent (assuming your intake air is not blocked).

This will be about the 3rd home I have seen this happen on via the threads and one that I personally observed with a huge mold plume on the sheathing.

Get it off ASAP.

Get your roofer out there to warranty the work.

Thank you roofer is coming tomorrow what a mess in the attic all plywood is wet. Soffits are clear I spend a lot of time making sure all vents and insulation was good the roofer put the ridge vent on.

altann 12-20-2011 12:14 PM

attic moisture
 
Once ridge vent in replaced will attic dry out on its own?

Windows on Wash 12-21-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altann (Post 798479)
Once ridge vent in replaced will attic dry out on its own?

In the case of the attic that I looked at last week, it had nearly dried out in 1 day.

It still required some treatment of the mold to make sure the spores were killed but it was nearly dry in about 24 hours.

altann 12-21-2011 09:43 AM

attic moister
 
Thanks much for your imput. I have a roofer coming tomorrow weather to bad today maybe that cobra mesh is OK for a small attic but not good for a large one. I had someone last night with flashlight held at soffits and the light could be seen in attic through proper vents so soffits are open but ridge vent is not so no air coming in. Its like closing a window.

Thanks

Windows on Wash 12-21-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altann (Post 799228)
Thanks much for your imput. I have a roofer coming tomorrow weather to bad today maybe that cobra mesh is OK for a small attic but not good for a large one. I had someone last night with flashlight held at soffits and the light could be seen in attic through proper vents so soffits are open but ridge vent is not so no air coming in. Its like closing a window.

Thanks

The Cobra vent is okay...when installed properly. That is the issue. It can very easily be installed improperly and you wind up with a problem like you have now.

Put a rigid venting (i.e. GAF snow country, OC's system, etc) cap on there and you will be fine.

altann 12-21-2011 10:56 AM

attic moisture
 
Yes that is what will be going on. Bad day to be on roof today icy out there in northern NH can't wait to get this corrected so I can get some sleep haha.

Thanks

shazapple 12-21-2011 12:23 PM

You should check for any air leakage as well around light fixtures or holes in the vapour barrier. If there is a bathroom vent make sure it is vented outside (preferably not though the soffit)

altann 12-21-2011 01:23 PM

attic moisture
 
Can lights and bathroom fan pipe are all covered well with insulation. Its just dead air uo there no air movement. A smoke test done to the underside of the ridge vent shows no smoke going out. Also where the mesh meets the plywood roof its very tight on it.

Thanks

Windows on Wash 12-21-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altann (Post 799463)
Can lights and bathroom fan pipe are all covered well with insulation. Its just dead air uo there no air movement. A smoke test done to the underside of the ridge vent shows no smoke going out. Also where the mesh meets the plywood roof its very tight on it.

Thanks

Insulation with an air barrier is not going to cut it.

Get them sealed up and boxed out. The lessened moisture will help the roof dry out faster.

dougp23 12-21-2011 09:47 PM

Are your proper vents crushed or blocked? I have seen an attic where an overly eager insulation installer woud slide the proper vent trays in AFTER installing insulation. You coud shine a flashlight up each bay and see about three feet in a huge wall of insulation blocking all that air coming in from the soffits.

altann 12-22-2011 07:32 AM

attic moisture
 
Proper vents where installed first the best kind that bends at end and staples to top of wall. I used a flashlight 2 days ago and looked down proper vents the inside of the overhang trim can be seen because of the painted inside face so it seems its open. Also had someone shine flashlight into so fit vent and the light can be seen from looking down from attic. Again I believe that if the ridge is not open air can't get out so air will not come in.
Thanks

altann 12-22-2011 04:32 PM

attic moisture update
 
Well today the cobra mesh ridge vent has been replaced. When removed it was filled with water no spacers where used it was nailed down tight onto the edge of the plywood at the opening closing it totally off. A lantern wick was used (not lit) and the smoke pulled right up through the soffit vents after the new vent was on. Even with spacers I would NOT use the cobra mesh ridge vent it is junk. Thank you all for all of your inputs and advise.

Al T

altann 12-30-2011 12:53 PM

attic moisture now frozen
 
OK attic vents have all been corrected soffit vents and ridge vents are all working and the attic is now as cold as the outdoors. I looked up there today one week after fixing vents and all the moisture has stopped but its a little frosty up there will it dry out in cold weather?
All that moisture must have frosted over.

Thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved