Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Attic Insulation - still use for storage

I need to insulate the attic of my ~1875 house. I thought I was going to just blow in cellulose thanks to tips here, but got to thinking about it and don't know that I could use it for storage after. Can I insulate and still use the attic for storage? If so, do I have to do faced fiberglass rolls? I'll either put some boards across the joists to put things like totes on or throw down some OSB/plywood. Am I asking too much? How cold will that attic become in the winter in the middle of Michigan where the coldest average low month is 11 degrees with record low of -36.

The attic is about 650 sq ft and has a four-face roof (no gable ends). I have about 7' of ridge vent and 8 or 9 rectangular ridge vents.

If I shouldn't store anything up there, blown cellulose after installing baffles is the best, right? If I can, though, it would be nice.

beengone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,686

You can frame up a false floor as you are referencing here but be careful of the weight load and potential to trap humidity under that floor level you will create.

Be sure to seal all the penetrations and top plates prior to blowing insulation.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

So, do blown insulation still? I won't put a floor in the whole attic, probably just a few 4x8 chunks. That should help with humidity. Will it insulate as well or should I do rolls under the osb?
beengone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Cellulose is the best in your case, and find somewhere else to store stuff.

Traditionally, all the older homes used the space in the attic for storage, and look at how the years rolled by...sagging ceilings, cracked plaster, cracked drywall, nail pops...all of it. Unless the ceiling joists were designed and built to carry a load, then you should not store anything up there, short of Christmas lights....meaning light stuff.

If you must have the storage up there, then strap a floor over the joists, with rolled fiberglass, and the space you gain for storage will more then overcome the lost heating and cooling because you used spun glass fibers for insulating, rather then cellulose.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joasis For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,686

+1

Blow cellulose and try to keep the attic from being storage.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote