Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Share |

Attic Insulation Gap Over Bathroom

Hi All,

Just bought a home and going through the inspectors reports to start making repairs. I'm probably a 2 on a 1-10 scale of 'handiness' , but I'm going to try and DIY the repairs that appear easy and hire a professional for the others. Anyway ...

In the inspection report there is a photo of the attic showing the insulation and there is a gap where the bathroom ends and a bedroom begins. The inspector said cold (or hot) air will get in this gap and possibly cool or warm the rooms impacted by the gap.

He mentioned there is something you can buy to cover the gap and it's an easy fix, but unfortunately I don't recall what this is or how to do it.

Any ideas? If a photo would help I could try to post one.

Thanks in advance for any help!

xtremeski2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #2

Yes, a photo will help.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #3

Here's a photo:

Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Bill Kearney

It would help if you cleared away the material around it. To better see what kind of structure is present. It's very odd for there to be a wide open cavity like that. Most interior walls are supposed to have a top piece of wood (known as a top plate). If there's some sort of dead space between the rooms then it's supposed to be covered on top. This to allow insulation to lay on it and also to help prevent fire from traveling up through the gap. If a cavity is left open between floors then a fire on one floor can travel much faster to other floors through it.

The end result is likely to be just 'cover the hole'. But without seeing the rest of the structure around it I wouldn't jump right to that. Figure out what's going on first, there could be other factors in play here.

And BTW, bravo for including the picture!
wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
It would help if you cleared away the material around it. To better see what kind of structure is present. It's very odd for there to be a wide open cavity like that. Most interior walls are supposed to have a top piece of wood (known as a top plate). If there's some sort of dead space between the rooms then it's supposed to be covered on top. This to allow insulation to lay on it and also to help prevent fire from traveling up through the gap. If a cavity is left open between floors then a fire on one floor can travel much faster to other floors through it.

The end result is likely to be just 'cover the hole'. But without seeing the rest of the structure around it I wouldn't jump right to that. Figure out what's going on first, there could be other factors in play here.

And BTW, bravo for including the picture!
Thanks! The inspector said there is something specific I should use to cover the hole (e.g., not just some plywood). This photo is taken from the attic so there's no floor above this gap.

We move in tomorrow so I can get in there and take another photo.