Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Share |

Attic insulation

I've been reading and reading and reading. I have more questions than answers but no one will accuse me of not researching. I'm ''cursed" by having my bedroom under the attic and over the garage. As you might imagine, it's freezing. My first intended project is the attic. Here are some pictures and I will refer to them as I make my questions.I've been reading and reading and reading. I have more questions than answers but no one will accuse me of not researching. I'm ''cursed" by having my bedroom under the attic and over the garage. As you might imagine, it's freezing. My first intended project is the attic. When that's finished, I'll address the garage........ Here are some pictures and I will refer to them as I make my questions. I intend on blowing in cellulose purchased from Home depot or Lowes which they lend you the machine if you bu 20 bags

..........The attic has a walkway as seen in the 3rd picture. You can see (barely) the door leading into the attic in the upper left of the picture. One side of the attic is horizontal ( like the floor) and the other side angles up ( the bedroom below has a cathedral ceiling and that is the one side of it)..

Sooooooooo, as seen in pic #2 and 4, there is the "existing" baffle and "existing" FG insulation. You will notice the shaded dark area at the bottom of the baffle. Well,,, light (and of course air) is coming thru the baffle (as it should), but light comes in also "around the baffle". So i know to cover the baffle when I shoot in the cellulose but wont the cellulose get into that other area around the baffle and therefore 'close up" the soffit flow??.... Next question is the bathroom exhaust fan hose which goes out "next to" the baffle. Similar to my first question as to the area "around the baffle" What do i do there??. I intend to enclose the top of the bathroom exhaust fan (seen in pic #2) with ridged foam and seal the edges.

In picture #1 ( I'm looking down at the floor) you see where the attic floor doesn't meet the wall and there is an area "similar" to rim joists and I "intend" on treating it similarly (unless someone here suggests otherwise.)......

I intend on building a little wall around the entrance door to the attic (it opens in) so as to be able to blow in the cellulose without interfering with the opening of the door. Then, in that little 2 foot square area where I've built this "sort of" box, I thought I'd throw down a piece of ridged insulation on the floor to stand on (what type should I use) when I open the door........

Soooooooo. does the slanted side create a problem. I guess some cellulose will slip down. perhaps I'll put up little containment sections to stop it from falling. I intend on air sealing as much as I can. There are some ceiling lights in my bedroom but i do not see the tops of them in the attic so i assume (?) they are under the floor planks(?)

***Biggest question is what to do around the baffles......... it has me baffled
Attached Thumbnails
Attic insulation-attic2.jpg   Attic insulation-attic3.jpg   Attic insulation-attic5.jpg   Attic insulation-attic6.jpg  

Last edited by simagic; 05-03-2014 at 11:13 AM.
simagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #2

Attic insulation

The baffles should connect to existing baffles to create a continuous air supply past any insulation; old or new, extending 1' or so above final height. Foil-faced foam board may be approved for attic use without required ignition/thermal barrier, check with local AHJ.

IMO, run a new fan duct (insulated/vapor barrier- unlike yours) to a gable end or roof exhaust rather than bringing all the bath moisture right back in attic through soffit intake vents.Good link, covers sloped ceiling in attic, same as yours for air sealing; pp.14-34; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...sealing-guide/

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!