Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 81
Share |
Default

Attic baffles and adding insulation...HELP!!!


Ok I have R30 in my attic and have decided to add an additional r30 for a total of r60. I noticed that only the rear soffit vents have baffles installed and not the front so I want to fix this. The issue is this, when I pulled the front insulation back I noticed that the soffit vent is approximately 8-10 feet lower then the attic floor since I have a vaulted ceiling. There are baffles installed but they should have probably installed several to reach the attic which they did not. If I leave the batt insulation out of this space then the ceiling in my kitchen will not be insulated. Is there any way to slip the baffles down into this space to create air flow to my attic???? I was thinking of maybe trying to push the insulation back down and slipping the baffle in behind it somehow but not sure if this will work! PLEASE HELP!


Last edited by jamjr74; 01-25-2012 at 06:31 PM.
jamjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Default

Attic baffles and adding insulation...HELP!!!


You description looks like your using the wrong nomenclature which is leading to the belief your house was built upside down. Did you mean to say your soffits are 8-10 feet below your attic floor? Where the attic is over room "XYZ" and the vaulted ceiling is above the Kitchen?

Even if that's the case, pictures are worth ALOT

__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 81
Default

Attic baffles and adding insulation...HELP!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse
You description looks like your using the wrong nomenclature which is leading to the belief your house was built upside down. Did you mean to say your soffits are 8-10 feet below your attic floor? Where the attic is over room "XYZ" and the vaulted ceiling is above the Kitchen?

Even if that's the case, pictures are worth ALOT
Yeah sorry meant to say soffit vent is 8-10 ft lower then attic floor.
jamjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Default

Attic baffles and adding insulation...HELP!!!


without pictures/sketches I can't say much more than this:

I just put baffles in my attic and they are a real pain to work with even when you can get to where they go in. They are flimsy and cheasy and can break or rip without much effort. So if you are thinking of "sliding them down" and then getting insulation in there, you're probably going to find out the hard way, it's not going to work out like you want it to.
__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 81
Default

Attic baffles and adding insulation...HELP!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse
without pictures/sketches I can't say much more than this:

I just put baffles in my attic and they are a real pain to work with even when you can get to where they go in. They are flimsy and cheasy and can break or rip without much effort. So if you are thinking of "sliding them down" and then getting insulation in there, you're probably going to find out the hard way, it's not going to work out like you want it to.
Yeah that's my worry. My home is 20 years old and have not had any issues thus far with mold or moisture so I may just let it be.
jamjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Default

Attic baffles and adding insulation...HELP!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjr74 View Post
Yeah that's my worry. My home is 20 years old and have not had any issues thus far with mold or moisture so I may just let it be.
Sometimes the old saying (If it ain't broke, don't fix it) applies. Sometimes...

__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AGWhitehouse For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (01-25-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insulating your attic Bob Mariani How To Guides 5 07-07-2013 08:49 PM
Adding attic insulation rakuz66 Insulation 4 07-22-2011 05:02 PM
Adding attic insulation rakuz66 HVAC 2 07-22-2011 10:51 AM
Attic Insulation paige2 General DIY Discussions 2 04-01-2011 05:30 PM
Attic Ventilation in 1928 Bungalow stephensandlin Roofing/Siding 1 07-09-2009 11:16 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.