Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Share |

another basement question

Hi guys, first time poster here, but Im very excited to get started on this board. I am about to start turning a room in my basement into a master bedroom with a bathroom. I have read several threads on this subject, but I am still a little unsure what I should do.

In the room Im planning on remodeling, we have had some water in there before, maybe once or twice a year. It usually happens after we have a ton of snow on the ground, then we get a big thaw followed by a rain. I have a contractor friend of mine doing some work for me to get the project started. He cut and jack hammered some concrete to put in a tile along the inside of the block wall and is running that into a sump pump (which we've never had before), and is also running all the plumbing lines and running them into a basin pump style up flow system for the tub/sink/toilet.

Here is my concerns and I hope you guys can help me here. Part of my basement walls are rock foundation, and part of it is block. I have read where you should use a rigid foam board and put the new 2x4 walls directly against the foam board. My problem with this is, my wall in not the flatest for a tight seal. I am planning on putting the 2x4 wall 2" away from the 2 outside walls, so could I just use a batt insulation since it will not touch the actual block/rock wall? The outside walls will have drylok applied to them as well. Also, will I need a vapor barrier if I use a batt insulation? Or, should I just use a 1" or 1.5" rigid foam board against the block/rock wall, and still leave the small gap between the foam board and new 2x4 wall?

Im sorry for the long drawn out post, but I know you guys can help. Thanks so much, and I love this site!

brewcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #2

I noticed that you have not had any answers as of yet. I am wondering if you posted your question under a heading that does not get that much traffic. Maybe try Remodeling or Carpentry as it seems to me your questions fit those headings better than Insulation.

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Thank you for the advice, I will try in another section
brewcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #4

No vapor barriers below grade in basements. Lots of reading for you on similar; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...lation-systems
Drylock will force the water to find a way in elsewhere.
Gary