Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Another basement insulation question..

Hello All, I am new here, been lurking for a while though. I am about to start finishing my walk out basement in Chattanooga, Tn. Two walls are block, one of which is 80% below grade, the other about 50%(on a hill). I checked the IECC website and it specifies R10/13 for my area. My question is do I use 2"xps to achieve R10 or should I use a combination of thinner xps and f.g. batt? The basement is dry, I am in the coatings business and can effectively measure humidity. That being said, I don't plan to skimp and hope for the best because it has been dry so far. I know you guys have answered this for people a hundred times(I searched), but I'm still not sure. If you have time to answer, thanks!

Burmashave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

If fiberglass batts can be avoided, then avoid them. Either do it with all rigid foam or rigid foam and Roxul or another rock wool product.

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 64

1" XPS would be minimum thickness I would run.

Get the bands and ribbon boards sealed up prior to basement finishing.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #4

I would go with XPS combined with closed cell spray foam. You can either use spray foam to seal any seams around the foam board, or you can bulk up on R-Value and coat the XPS with 1" of foam.

Closed cell foam has an R-Value of 7 per inch, will seal air leaks and resist moisture penetration. To get to your IECC R-Value recommendation you can either do 1" XPS and 1" spray foam, or 2" XPS and seal the seams with closed cell foam.
GreenFoamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #5

How high a relative humidity in the basement are you expecting... using your 3 coldest months average high/low temps equals the basement wall (above grade/1' below grade) temps at 49.6*F and safe to 55%RH using R-5 (1/2")XPS; http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USTN0084

If paying attention to details; you can DIY with only foamboard/wall cavity (for wiring) and no SPF, for a lot less money. BTW- you can mix/match using continuous/cavity insulation to meet ICEE, check with local AHJ.

Gary