Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |

Air sealing basics questions

1. What type of caulk is best to use for air sealing drywall (i.e., "Airtight Drywall Approach" at BSC) ?
2. Top Plate penetrations (foam and…silicone? Elastomeric caulk? 50 yr caulk?)

3. What is the best way to seal window frames from the inside (pre-drywall)?

Many say door and window foam, but it too can cause expansion damage to the window if not used correctly. Also, it can block water drainage to the bottom of the window (of which outside bottom should be un-caulked).
Bearing in mind that I am seeking not only to insulate from warm air and heat infiltration, but also to allow any moisture to drain out of the bottom of the window, what is recommended?
Backer rod and silicone around the inside of the frame, not allowing penetration to the middle, thereby leaving a passage for moisture escape? Foam, trying not to block passage or use too much that would cause bowing of the frame?
4. Insulation:

Roxul insulation: R-23 in 5.5” wall, R-30 in 7.5” ceiling: Seems to ‘bulge’ out a bit. Sheetrocking will ‘push it in’, but is this ok? Should the Roxul fill the entire cavity to the point of being pressed against the drywall after installation?

Thanks, and any other tips welcome!

rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Everything you are asking can be found for the majority at buildingscience.com. As for the type of caulk, I just use silicon type caulking and airsealing around outlets, windows and doors, I use something like Great stuff window & door expanding foam.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #3

I thought this article was helpful... I am still trying to better understand the system so I can ask my builder (old school) to implement it.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...t-drywall.aspx

"A wide variety of caulks can be used for airtight drywall, but most experts recommend polyurethane for sealing drywall to framing."

Anyone try gaskets? I am curious how much/cost work this adds?
sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #4

have this done and your home will be air tight! http://ecoseal.knaufinsulation.us/

It will be cheaper then caulking and way faster and will out last any caulk.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote