Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
FS3

Share |

Advice on attic project

My house is located in Roanoke Va. and was built in 1926. It is a foursquare type home with a full walkout basement and a walk up attic (stairway up to attic). I am capable of doing most any type handyman work. I have worked as a carpenter, Brick mason and now as an electronics technician. There is very little I wonít attempt to do myself.

The attic is where my concern lies for this post. I am in the process of air sealing and adding insulation to the attic. I am posting a sketch drawing I did of the soffit area and my intended plan of sealing along the top of the walls.

I also think I need to add another piece of foamboard / great stuff vertically between the soffit and the rafters as a dam for the blow in insulation to keep it out of the soffits, yet spaced so there is an air gap between the rafters and the soffit. Attic foil will be attached to bottom of rafters all the way to top of roof.

Currently I have some type of 3-4 inch old style batts (Superfelt I think is the brand name) with about 2 or so inches of loose blow in. I want to blow in enough to get to around R-50 or so.

Now the walk up area has a floor and a dormer window. Itís used for storage of various decorations, extra furniture, seasonal clothing and such. The air handler for the upstairs AC is also mounted here. There are no soffit vents and as itís a hip roof construction no ridge or attic vents of any kind except by using the window. There is a roof ridge of about 6 feet.

Should I install soffit vents and a solar vent fan?

I have plans to build a foamboard plug to cover the stairwell once the insulation project is complete. My concern is how to insulate but maintain the storage area. Should I frame it out and create an area separate from the heavily insulated area? If so do I use foam board in the rafters (again leaving an air space between sheathing and insulation) .The floored area is about half of the area if the entire attic. ~1150 sq/ft. There is insulation under the floor already but again itís the old product.
How should I address the floored area?

Oh and I have knob and tube to deal with as well. I think Iím probably going to upgrade that before the blow in. ( local inspector said I didnít have to but I think itís a good idea before super insulating)

FS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
FS3

Advice on attic project

Sorry looks like i'm not yet allowed to post pix or edit my posts. i have not been able to get activation message from admins yet.

FS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Advice on attic project

You can host the pictures via one of the online hosting services.

Post up links to them at that point. That will help.

Why are you bothering with the radiant barrier? Not really necessary in our climate if the attic is well insulated.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote