Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Adding attic insulation

I'd like to add some insulation to my attic. I just had the house sided and re-roofed, so I now have a vented soffit and ridge vent. I know I will need to put in some rafter shutes, baffles or whatever you want to call them in between the rafters. I presently have about 7 inches of blown in insulation on my attic floor which is under the reccomended amount for S.Eastern Pa. So my question is this , Can I use unfaced batts on top of the blown in insulation running them perpendicular to the joists, or do I need to use more of the blown in insulation? Thanks.

rakuz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #2

Adding attic insulation

You can use the batts. That's a great way of mitigating the thermal bridging caused by the joists. While you're up there, you might want to check the existing insulation for dirty spots, which would indicate air intrusion. Seal up any gaps.

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #3

Adding attic insulation

While your crawling around adding the chutes and batts, add a tyvek air barrier on top of everything as well. Air movement within fiberglass batts greatly reduces the effectiveness. So if you put an R-30 batt up there without an air barrier, then you only really be getting an R-20, or so gain, as the top layer of batts will be compromised do to attic air movements. So, for the $150 or so that a tyvek roll costs, you'll reclaim that lost R-10 or so.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #4

Adding attic insulation

Does the Tyvek block moisture? That would be bad.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

Adding attic insulation

If blow-in fiberglass, yes that will reduce the R-value, by compressing the existing. If blow-in cellulose, just use more, it will also stop any convective loops in your blow-in f.g.: The "biggest loser" in fiberglass insulation....

Tyvek (58 perms) won't block moisture, (I've repeatedly sited that) compared to Typar (16 perms), which will. Moisture movement optimum is 18-32 perms....

Gary