Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #1

Share |

Added R30 fiberglass rolls in my upper attic

Originally had about R30 but wanted to double up to bring it up to around R60 as is recommended for Zone 5. I have a remote thermometer probe up in the attic with the display mounted in the closet below the attic access hatch. Before the new insulation was added, the temps in the attic would be close to the outside air temps, usually within ten degrees. Now, after rolling out nine rolls of R30 on top of the old fiberglass rolls, perpendicular, and adding a new R40 weather stripped attic hatch, the temperatures up there have been close to twenty five degrees warmer than the outside air. For example, two days ago the outside air temp was about 37 degrees, yet the attic temp showed about 67 degrees. Before the addition of the new R30 rolls the temps would have been in the mid 40's. This makes no sense, and I'm starting to wonder if my remote temperature probe is now defective. Thoughts?

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #2

Did you add baffles so the soffits could still vent?
What type of roof venting do you have?
If you covered up the soffits with insulation the roof vents will no longer work.

Dave Sal (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Did you add baffles so the soffits could still vent?
What type of roof venting do you have?
If you covered up the soffits with insulation the roof vents will no longer work.
You know, now that you mention it, I'm starting to wonder if that isn't the case. Guess the only way to check is to empty the closet and climb back up there. I wasn't able to get very close to the perimeter of the attic near the soffit vents so I don't think I covered the vents up but that's something that needs to be checked. Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

+1

Good catch Joe. I would be willing to bet you unintentionally blocked the soffits.

Get up there and get those areas clear ASAP.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
+1

Good catch Joe.
+ another 1
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
JOATMON

And another one.....

Putting a thermometer up there is not a good way to measure heat loss....with proper ventilation, the attic should be the same temp as the outside air....

About the only way to get an idea is to use an infrared camera....but to have any meaningful data, you need before and after pics.

Now your just going to have to compare your energy bills and adjust for seasonal temps.

On a bright note.....you certainly did not do anything that would hurt the situation....other than block the soffetts....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
And another one.....

Putting a thermometer up there is not a good way to measure heat loss....with proper ventilation, the attic should be the same temp as the outside air....

About the only way to get an idea is to use an infrared camera....but to have any meaningful data, you need before and after pics.

Now your just going to have to compare your energy bills and adjust for seasonal temps.

On a bright note.....you certainly did not do anything that would hurt the situation....other than block the soffetts....
Actually, I put the temperature probe up there to check the summertime attic temps after I installed a power attic fan. It used to get up to 120 degrees in the upper attic (tri-level home) on really hot days. After the power attic vent was installed it stays below 110 even on the hottest days.

I'm going to pick up soffit baffles and go back up there (ugh!) again and get the attic breathing.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited by Dave Sal; 10-27-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #8

Just a quick update....
Went back up in the attic today and crawled around in there for an hour, installing ten soffit baffles. You guys were correct. I had inadvertently stuffed the ends of the new rolls of R30 insulation between the roof rafters, close enough to the ends where it blocked the soffit vents. Now that they have been unblocked, I'm checking attic temps and found that the latest reading was 58 degrees in the attic, with the outside air temps at 53 degrees. That's similar to what it was before so I am glad I took care of it. Thanks again for the comments.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

Good job, guys!

If you wanted to get more from your insulation R-value, add some house wrap over the top. R-30 is a low density batt insulation (bottom of the pile), susceptible to air movement on the top side facing attic; The "biggest loser" in fiberglass insulation....

Ventilated roofs on right-hand side; http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...ventilation%22

Fiberglass is rated when in a six-sided enclosure, attic and crawlspace insulation are never covered- why?; page 12; "significant performance advantage"--- lol; http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...ide_062507.pdf

Gary
Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
Good job, guys!

If you wanted to get more from your insulation R-value, add some house wrap over the top. R-30 is a low density batt insulation (bottom of the pile), susceptible to air movement on the top side facing attic; The "biggest loser" in fiberglass insulation....

Ventilated roofs on right-hand side; http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...ventilation%22

Fiberglass is rated when in a six-sided enclosure, attic and crawlspace insulation are never covered- why?; page 12; "significant performance advantage"--- lol; http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...ide_062507.pdf

Gary
That is interesting information. Wish I read this before I went back up in the attic to install the baffles yesterday. But, the job is done and I am sore all over from twisting and turning and bending and reaching. I have no intention of going back up in there in the near future. I'm getting too old for this stuff.
I will definitely keep it in mind IF I ever install attic insulation again.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #11

Understand; old.... lol. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Glad others could help when they did!

Gary

Dave Sal (11-06-2013)