Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Share |

Accuvent 14.5" PVC Soffit Baffles Melting problem?

I'm about to start putting soffit baffles to deflect the Cellulose insulation I'm going to blow in, and based on other's reccomendations I was looking at the Accuvent soffit baffles made of PVC, as opposed to the foam or cardboard.

I have 16" on center Rafters over 16" on center joists, so home depot doesn't carry any reasonable 14.5" wide soffit baffles, what they have is kind of kludgy small vent. I just don't see a lot of air getting inbetween the sheating and the rafter. Also people mention the styrofoam and cardboard products disintegrating over time, and I imagine that would be really a pain to put new ones in.

I just don't see myself cutting 100x 14.5" styrofoam sheets and custom foaming/gluing them in place. I've put a lot of time into the attic insulating, but that seems like an outrageous amount of time, so I'm hoping an off the shelf product like accuvent would work. The only problem is I saw a youtube video with the accuvent baffles exposed to sun and deforming... I know this isn't a typical scenario, but just wondering if that could be a problem.

Either way I have to order somethnig online, so if someone knows a better product, I'd be curious to hear it. Also wondering if I should insulate the top plate with foam while I'm at it. I've already air sealed most of all my dropped areas, and holes, just trying to make stead progress not missing anything before I dump another foot of cellulose in the attic. Thanks, Bill

Home Depot "ADO Products 14in x 48" attic ventilation channel"

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202541345?catalogId=10053

Accuvent:
http://www.brentwoodindustries.com/s...ding-products/

You tube video with the accuvents warping under the sun:

Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

I don't see any issues with the cardboard baffles that I have seen that are 5+ years old.

Cardboard is cheap and when used properly will work just as well

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #3

And I've never once seen a foam baffle fall apart.
Someone's pulling your leg.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #4

Yeah, the limited number of specifically 16 OC soffit baffles at the big box stores kind of limits what choices I have. The rumor about foam disintegrating was from the one home depot review of the product.

It looks like some of the 22" baffles you can split in half, leaves you about 1" on either side which is not ideal, but then that makes it very cheap... Lowes and Home depot both have 22" ones. I'd rather have the 16" OC purpose build 14.5" accuvent as it seems to have a bigger channel, but if I cut the home depot 22" in half, I'm not sure it would be stable. I think with only 1 part touching the sheathing it would wobble side to side? Where as the lowes ADO foam baffle specifically says it can be cut in half. And I could staple on either side, and maybe fold back the foam...

Or where else do they stock these, roofing supply houses? I searched for "insulation store" on google maps, but didn't really find anything...

Thanks

Lowes ADO 22" Rafter Vent

Home Depot 22" soffit baffle
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

I kinda answered my own question about where to find them...

http://www.brentwoodindustries.com/s...stributor.aspx

Guess I will have to start calling up these places to see who carries the 16" OC accuvents. I just really prefer to staple the vent to the top plate rather than just slide it down to the soffit area... I think that would keep more insulation out than going right up to (or into) the soffit with these baffles.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

That is correct but be sure to air seal that outside top plate first.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #7

We have no soffits vents at all at this point, so I will be ripping the plywood soffit off and replacing with perforated aluminum. So for now I can't really the top plate outside area from the attic. If there is any sealing to do from the top I will do that before I attach the baffle. I think I have things covered...
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Air sealing is different than blocking off the ventilation.

Google air sealing when you are done. You need to keep the conditioned air inside the home and that is done by sealing up the top plates, can lights, etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #9

Thanks, I've already air sealed all the can lights, plumbing and any drop ceiling areas in the attic. I've gone through 3-4 cans with my pro gun so far. I'm just a little fuzzy on the top plate sealing, because most of what I've seen in our house the sheet rock/plaster on the ceiling seems to butt right up to the top plate header from the attic side. I haven't gotten inside the soffits yet from the outside of the house, which I'll be doing when we get around to pulling all the plywood soffits off. I just did some googling of top plate "insulating" and I guess I haven't focused too much on the top plates throughout the attic. I'll go back and focus on those. Thanks!