4kW From The Floor! - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

4kW from the floor!

So I bought me this nice $600 LG heat pump that's currently pumping heat out of my house. It handles a 20x20 room and this room is like 15x15. Except it doesn't work.

With 10.1SEER and a power draw of 1380W, I'm pulling 14000BTU/hr or about 4100kW out of the room. That vent outputs a ridiculous volume of insanely hot air. It works. But the room doesn't cool off.

I noticed then that the area above the porch, where the floor slopes and it feels like there's a hole under the carpet, is ridiculously hot. Ridiculously hot. I don't have a laser thermometer, but I've got a B&D TLD100 thermal leak detector coming... but I don't need it to know this is ridiculously hot.

Four kilowatts hot.

Holy crap, I'm drawing more heat through the floor than the massive friggin' AC unit can suck out of the room! Time to cut the floor out, level it (sister some joists), put in R14 insulation, news subfloor, and roll the carpet back over 'cause I can't afford the hardwood yet and don't want to do that.

Is this just a matter of cutting, folding, and packing rolled insulation? Should I pack the insulation as tight as I can force it in, or lay it down nice and fluffy? (this is a long standing argument between a colleague and I)

For now I've lain a big, fluffy comforter over the offending area. It helps.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,244

4kW from the floor!

Where is the home located?

Foam to the exterior will keep the moisture out of the assembly and help create the thermal break to isolate the framing as well.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

4kW from the floor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Where is the home located?

Foam to the exterior will keep the moisture out of the assembly and help create the thermal break to isolate the framing as well.

Baltimore, where it gets hot and humid and terrible.

Yeah maybe I should do some work above the porch then huh. It's just a huge amount of heat coming in.