Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Will this Spirea shrub survive?

Just put it in last week and have been watering it as well as adding plant food. Will it survive?
Attached Thumbnails
Will this Spirea shrub survive?-image-2471405901.jpg  

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

It should as long as you keep doing what you are doing. Just do not over water it. Also placing mulch over the soil. Helps keep the moisture in the ground. As for feeding. Once a month at this point is enough.

Also to keep slugs away. Place broken egg shells around your plants.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
It should as long as you keep doing what you are doing. Just do not over water it. Also placing mulch over the soil. Helps keep the moisture in the ground. As for feeding. Once a month at this point is enough. Also to keep slugs away. Place broken egg shells around your plants.
I use this once a week. Overkill?
Attached Thumbnails
Will this Spirea shrub survive?-image-662000722.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Yes overkill using once a week.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes overkill using once a week.
Ok, that's what the directions state.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Ok, that's what the directions state.
That is because they want you to keep buying the product. I only feed our Azalea's once a year. Even when we first planted them. It was a one time feed and that was it.

Just put down some mulch. Water once a day if hot out. Otherwise every other day is fine. Feed once a month from this point on.

What happens if you feed them every day or every week. Is that you can end up killing the shrub by adding too much feed. Depending on ground make up. The feed could end up never being used by the shrub or will stay in the ground, never fully absorbed by the soil. So that it can be dispersed through out.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
That is because they want you to keep buying the product. I only feed our Azalea's once a year. Even when we first planted them. It was a one time feed and that was it. Just put down some mulch. Water once a day if hot out. Otherwise every other day is fine. Feed once a month from this point on. What happens if you feed them every day or every week. Is that you can end up killing the shrub by adding too much feed. Depending on ground make up. The feed could end up never being used by the shrub or will stay in the ground, never fully absorbed by the soil. So that it can be dispersed through out.
Got it, if I feed once a month until Sept do I restart again next Spring with once a month!?
Old 06-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Only feed as needed next year. You would be better to just mix in compost vs. packaged feeds.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,474

I had a well respected nurseryman tell me he just loves people that fertilize because most over fertilize and that keeps him in business.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-01-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #10

If it looks dry and brown underneath still how often should I water it?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 558

Depending upon your soil, water it everyday for 2 weeks, the cut it back to a few times per week. If you get a hot dry spell, give it some extra water. The plant is going to build its root structure so you may not see a lot going on with the top.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
Depending upon your soil, water it everyday for 2 weeks, the cut it back to a few times per week. If you get a hot dry spell, give it some extra water. The plant is going to build its root structure so you may not see a lot going on with the top.
Our soil has a lot of rock and clay. I added brown topsoil on top a few weeks ago.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Our soil has a lot of rock and clay. I added brown topsoil on top a few weeks ago.
Soil on top isn't going to do much for the roots. Did you at least amend the soil when you planted it?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
Soil on top isn't going to do much for the roots. Did you at least amend the soil when you planted it?
Of course., this side gets a lot less sun.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Spirea have an added benefit of having the capacity to endure just about any soil type, they will even grow in compacted clay soils. The main thing that Spirea need is plenty of light. They will grow in partial shade but full sun will bring out there biggest and best blooms. It is hard to tell the foliage color from the photo (or it could just be my aging eyes), but the yellow foliage varieties, are an exception as they will bloom well in partial shade.

If you want to use the Miracle Gro that's fine, however Spirea are not substantial feeders. An annual dose of compost is best. If using fertilizer it is better to use a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10, the Miracle Gro is more like a 15-30-15. As already mentioned adding mulch will help keep the moisture in the ground. Spirea do not like "wet feet" so don't over water them. When they are first planted give them around an inch of water a week. You want to keep the soil saturated but not soggy. Once they are established you may never have to water them again depending on where you live. If the summers are dry and hot water once a month or every other month. Over watering and over fertilizing are the two most common mistakes people make when growing Spirea. They are a hardy shrub and don't need to be babied just let them grow naturally.

Dirt Ain't Cheap (my landscaping blog)
Indepspirit is online now   Reply With Quote