Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

Share |

When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?

On a lark I grabbed about 12 cloves of supermarket garlic and planted them in my raised bed garden last October. We had a warm fall and many of them sprouted during the winter and then died, so come this spring only 3 sprouts came up.

These plants have been doing well, and they are now starting to exhibit some dry leaves and each has a lump or nodule in the stem (one near the soil surface, the other two a few inches above the soil).

I know harvest time for garlic is coming soon, but when exactly do I harvest? I've heard July is typical for this area, but we have had a very warm spring and we've had nearly 100F heat over the last two days, so I am wondering if it is early.

No big deal, it's only 3 heads of garlic if I am lucky, but I'd like to maximize their potential and learn how to do it right in the future.

Thanks!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #2

I'm not very experienced with garlic. I've tried to grow it in the past, next to the roses as a deterrent for pests, but I don't think it was too successfu as far as keeping them awayl.
I know you are supposed to harvest it after the bulb forms on top and when the stems turn totally brown. Then hang it for a few weeks to properly cure.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #3

Well, one of stems was knocked over, and though it wasn't completely brown all of the leaves had dry edges, so I decided to dig it up and see what I had. Still a bit small, but well formed and still closed up. The cloves are a nice size. It's hanging in the corner of my kitchen now.

I think I'll wait another week or two for the others.
Attached Thumbnails
When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?-trash-can-potatoes-06222012-001.jpg   When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?-trash-can-potatoes-06222012-002.jpg  
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

Very good! Too bad your spuds aren't ready you could chop up the green stalk and use it like a chive. There is always pasta salad or leafy one. It will be a lot milder then normal.

Have you ever roasted an entire head of garlic drizzled in olive oil. Eat as is, or use as a spread. Probably awesome with hummus
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote