When To Harvest Garlic In Zone 6? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?

On a lark I grabbed about 12 cloves of supermarket garlic and planted them in my raised bed garden last October. We had a warm fall and many of them sprouted during the winter and then died, so come this spring only 3 sprouts came up.

These plants have been doing well, and they are now starting to exhibit some dry leaves and each has a lump or nodule in the stem (one near the soil surface, the other two a few inches above the soil).

I know harvest time for garlic is coming soon, but when exactly do I harvest? I've heard July is typical for this area, but we have had a very warm spring and we've had nearly 100F heat over the last two days, so I am wondering if it is early.

No big deal, it's only 3 heads of garlic if I am lucky, but I'd like to maximize their potential and learn how to do it right in the future.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm not very experienced with garlic. I've tried to grow it in the past, next to the roses as a deterrent for pests, but I don't think it was too successfu as far as keeping them awayl.
I know you are supposed to harvest it after the bulb forms on top and when the stems turn totally brown. Then hang it for a few weeks to properly cure.

Advertisement

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Well, one of stems was knocked over, and though it wasn't completely brown all of the leaves had dry edges, so I decided to dig it up and see what I had. Still a bit small, but well formed and still closed up. The cloves are a nice size. It's hanging in the corner of my kitchen now.

I think I'll wait another week or two for the others.
Attached Thumbnails
When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?-trash-can-potatoes-06222012-001.jpg   When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?-trash-can-potatoes-06222012-002.jpg  
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Very good! Too bad your spuds aren't ready you could chop up the green stalk and use it like a chive. There is always pasta salad or leafy one. It will be a lot milder then normal.

Have you ever roasted an entire head of garlic drizzled in olive oil. Eat as is, or use as a spread. Probably awesome with hummus
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

do you need to cut stem .
stoshcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

For whatever reason I think if you grow garlic from the grocery store they usually come up smaller - not meant for seeding or something. As for harvesting them, I just yank one up when I need it!

To improve the size of the bulb you can cut the scape off (and eat it!) before it flowers. That will encourage bulb growth.

Edit to add: you can cut or leave the dried stem after harvesting. If you leave it you can braid them together to store the garlic in a decorative way.

Last edited by e1sk; 08-09-2014 at 11:16 AM.
e1sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,622

I only grow Elephant garlic so I haven't any experience with any other. Too small for me. Actually the Elephant variety is closely related to the Leek. I plant in Sept. or Oct. so it gets a good start before frost and a good layer ( 6" or more ) of straw mulch can be put down the day planted. Harvest in late June after the leaves begin to brown and the large bloom begins to look mature. They don't all grow as large as the one on the scale.

My wife purees it in a processor to the consistency she likes then freezes it in Qt. freezer bags smashed flat ( about 3/8" thick ) for storage. To use it she simply pinches off the amount needed at the moment.

There is an abundance of garlic information on the net of course.
Attached Thumbnails
When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?-garlic-5-2-07.jpg   When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?-garlic-bolt-close-5-25-05.jpg   When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?-garlic-1.5-lb.-6-2-12-.jpg.jpg   When to Harvest Garlic in Zone 6?-garlic-bolting-5-3-05.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote