Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

what program

What program do you use, if any, to plan out landscaping designs? My wife and I are looking to do some landscaping to our front yard and I would love to be able to draw it up and get a realistic idea of what the finished project will look like but don't know where to begin with the search. Any help is appreciated.

USNrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

what program

Somehow this post seems to have gotten buried. Sorry since I used to draw plans for a living and encourage all to do just what you are doing before they start landscaping.

There are a number of decent but basic free programs you can find with a search online. I have played with a few of the landscape design programs sold at places like Best Buy, Office Depot and so forth over the years and they would work well for your purposes. They run around $30-40. You might see if they are availed online with a free trial period.

The one problem I remember having with them is the property limits were too small for the projects I wanted to use them. I remember them being adequate for an average yard though. Many have great material, plant, etc. databases.

SweetHome 3D is open source software I use for floorplans but I believe there is an outdoor symbol set for plants and things. There are no doubt more specific programs out there though.

Of course you can move up to more formal landscape design and architecture programs but they will start costing $100s.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote