Weeds???? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Weeds????

Last year I planted geraniums and hostas for my daughter (new homeowner) she told me that every thing is coming back up just fine. I told her that the hostas come back every year but the geraniums shouldn't (we live in south east Michigan) especially considering the hard winter we had. Are these weeds, and if they are they came back in the same place I planted the geraniums?????Weeds????-image.jpg

Advertisement

Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #2

Weeds????

I'm talking about the 3 in front of the rocks. Here is a close up
Weeds????-image.jpg

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

Weeds????

It all depends on what type of geranium you planted there. There are different types of geraniums and many people (even some nurseries) often confuse them. True geraniums, known as perennial cransbills, will come back each year. Zonal geraniums, classified as Pelargoniums, are more popular and are grown as annuals so they will not come back. Besides the zonal geraniums there are also other types of Pelargonium that usually don't come back. The Ivy Leaf geranium which have a trailing habit and ivy shaped leaves. The Scented Leaf Geranium, that can smell like all kinds of scents produced from the oil in their leaves. Regal or Angel geraniums, that are a bushy plant with unusual flower colors. So if it is a true geranium it is possible that they are coming back. Plant identification is harder to do from pictures so I'm not sure what you have there.

It could also be a Ranunculus repens (Creeping Buttercup) which look a lot like geraniums. While creeping buttercup is not on most states noxious weed list they are beginning to show up on many state list as a weed to watch out for. Creeping buttercup are extremely competitive growers. They can cover a 40 square foot area in a year if left alone. They also deplete potassium from the soil. If they are creeping buttercup then the best way to get rid of them is to dig them out with a trowel or fork type tool. The have carrot like roots so make sure you dig deep enough to get all the roots. If you don't get all the roots they can sprout from the nodes along the root fragments and continue to grow. Cultivating or disturbing the soil will increase seed germination and their seeds can stay active for 20+ years.

Dirt Ain't Cheap (my landscaping blog)
Indepspirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #4

Weeds????

They were just seeded geraniums from Home Depot. Here's a pic of them from last year.Weeds????-image.jpg

Should she take out what ever that is growing there now?
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #5

Weeds????

What ever is growing there now looks nothing like a geranium
Old 06-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #6

Weeds????

The last photo it looks like you planted the Pelargoniums last year so yes they shouldn't have come back. What is growing there now is not what you planted last year. Should she take them out? Depends on what you want to do with that area. A weed is basically a plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants. So a Rose could be a weed if it is growing in the wrong place. If your wanting to plant more Pelargoniums there this year then take them out. I sometimes let things grow that pop up just to see what they are and what they look like. But I enjoy watching plants grow and studying them. The longer you let a plant grow the harder it is to take out or kill if you don't like it. So if you have plans already for that area dig it up getting as much of the roots as possible.

Advertisement

Dirt Ain't Cheap (my landscaping blog)
Indepspirit is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Indepspirit For This Useful Post:
Wench (06-05-2014)