Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Turning the "wrong" roof color into an asset?

Hey guys,
Don't laugh at me, this is a big problem for me. Basically, when installing a new roof I went with the shingles called "forest green". The roofer only gave me a 3x3 inch sample and did not have any addresses to houses in the area with that color. So I went ahead and made a photoshop projection of what I thought It would look like and loved that. Well, turnes out my projection couldn't be more off and now I have a blue roof.

I'm imagining the only could thing that could come out of this is that I am forced to rethink my current landscaping which is basically non existent, aside from a couple of old irises and catnips and equally old bushes (that looks horrible against the roof color). What types of plants and bushes do you think can make people believe that the roof color was intended and turn it into an asset?

Should I paint the gazebo the same color or would that make it worse? How about the door?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Starlet81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I know your last computer simulation for color did not go well but why not try again using one of the free virtual painting programs from one of the major paint companies? I use the one from Benjamin Moore all the time since I use their paint most. I know Sherwin Williams has one.

You upload your photo, mask off the body, trim, etc. to be painted and then you can paint the areas with anything from the color selectors for the paint brand. Alternatively, if you do not want to take the time to do the masking you can pick an exterior close in style to yours from the software's image library and use the masking in place for it.

Next step is to order some sample bottles or large swatches of the colors you think will work. A color consultant or designer can get these for you and the store may be willing to as well.

Color Impact is a program I use in color consulting all the time. It is a color exploration tool that will let you explore color wheel relationships, tryout schemes and even do complex blends from one color to another. I think you can try it for 30 days. It is $50 or thereafter for a license.

easyrgb.com is a free resource you may find useful too. If you plug in the RGB color codes for any color you can imagine (perhaps those you found exploring with Color Impact) it will kick back the nearest paint chip names and codes for major paint brands.

It is refreshing to see you inventoring the colors in your landscape, existing and proposed into your thinking. The roof, by the way, does not look bad at all to me. Of course I do not know what you were expecting.

By the way and not to insult you. Is your monitor calibrated to be working with color? 6500 Kelvin is more or less the industry standard for color temperature used to compare and select ink, paint, dye, etc. color and you want to set your monitor to this configuration. Most come with different settings but there should be a profile for 6500 in your list of display options. Obviously if you are considering color at a much different color temperature than the standard your choices are going to be wacked?

Last edited by user1007; 06-18-2011 at 03:03 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

Roof looks great to me in that picture - I love how the dark blue-green of the roof brings out the light green of the bushes, I don't think it would look nearly as nice with a greener roof. This gives everything a soothing Japanese garden feel (Japanese gardens focus on layering different shades/textures of green, with very sparing use of flowers).

I also think the roof really nicely sets off the blue/grey flowers (if those are actually catnip the blue/grey colour might just be a trick of the light, since catnip is often more of rose or purple colour - in which case I'd suggest replacing them with flowers that really are blue/grey like Russian sage).

The only quibble I'd have with your colour scheme is that I'm not a fan of straight white as a house colour, especially when the whole house is painted the same colour. Just off the top of my head I'd be inclined to stick to the Asian theme you have going there and paint the house a neutral buff or tan colour with medium brown trim/doors.

All in all I think the place looks very attractive as is (and the last thing I'd change is the roof colour - I love the roof).

Last edited by jules4; 07-20-2011 at 12:38 AM.
jules4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #4

Thank you both for your replies. I'm glad that you like the color of the roof!
Jules I will keep your ideas in mind for how to move forward with the landscaping. I'll look into japanese gardens. I'll use one of the programs sdsester suggested to see what the paint colors you suggested would look like.

I'll also look at how to color calibrate my monitor.. I have two monitors and every color looks radically different on the screens so I'll have to adjust this.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

Just having joined the forum I am wondering what you have decided or done about your colour scheme. I rather like your roof and the planting of grey-blue plants would certainly help. Perhaps - instead of painting the entire house - just changing the coulour of the entrance door and window frames into the same colour (or a close shade) as the roof would help bringing everything together. As well as the woodwork on the gazebo. Perhaps the odd big flower pot in a colour close to the roof colour in front of the house....or anywhere.....
And then I would introduce more coulour by planting small shrubs/flowers/bulbs......if you prefer colour....

It's a lovely place, a picture of your changes would be great.
holz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #6

There's plenty of blue vegitation you can plant. Even some evergreens have bluish needles. Lilacs. Hyacinth. Hydrangea. Blueberry bushes. I don't think your roof color looks out of place. The white on your house is a bit bright. You could get a few bundles of the same color shingle and redo the gazebo roof in the same shingle, but it doesn't look out of place to me...other then it being in your front yard.
tractorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #7

Cool

I know this thread is a little old, but I love your house! It looks so inviting. Did you decide what to do? I think blue-ish plants probably would tie things together, but too much would be overdoing the hue. I actually don't even mind it with the green plants in the picture. I do know of a tool you could use to see how your house would look with different plants...you have to create a sign-in name to use it, but I think it works pretty well.
Also, I know of a good tool for looking at how your whole house or gazebo would look with various siding/roof combinations. Not sure if it's helpful anymore, but for anyone else looking to replace your roof, you might get some use out of it.

Hope this is helpful! Might you have an updated picture so we can see how everything turned out?
jdoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

I haven't done anything yet, I've been a little lazy with the landscaping with a toddler and a baby. Though now we have to replace the front door so I'm turning to you again for advice. I'd love a fun color but would it be wise to do something neutral? And we did stain the gazebo brown to update a little, but nothing else. I like your ideas and I'll swap out the pot for one in the same color as the roof when I find one - or paint it. I'll definitely post a picture when we replaced the door!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #9

Different door colors, any of these you think would work?
Attached Thumbnails
Turning the "wrong" roof color into an asset?-taket2.jpg  
Old 08-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Note the post is 14 months old. I suspect color choices have been made by now.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #11

I posed yesterday, I'd love your opinions!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sorry. I was not paying attention and did not notice you were the OP!

I built you a color wheel anchored to a pixel color I took from your roof. Any of the analogous colors---those next to the roof color on either side would be possibilities. More dramatic options would be the complimentary color directly across the color wheel or one of the split compliments to either side of the color compliment.
Attached Thumbnails
Turning the "wrong" roof color into an asset?-blue-gray-color-wheel.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #13

I love the green on the left, the red on the left, and the yellow on the right. BTW I LOVE your roof. I think it shows a classic look to your white house. I think I would experiment with house trim colors. I love the crisp white and believe me I usually do not like white. Yours is charming.

Maybe you could play with the lower skirt of the house with some color to add depth? I'm no exterior designer expert so would take others' suggestions to plug into a color computer to see what it might look like.

After looking again, I LOVE the red door on the left. It really pops.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #14

Like this...link.

http://www.antiquehomestyle.com/outs...rbest-gray.htm
Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #15

Im so excited, we actually purchased a red door now! I would never have thought of it if I hadn't asked for opinions. It's kind of in between the lighter and darker red but I think it will really make it pop. I'll post a new pic after we had it installed. We are also replacing the windows, these are circa 1908.