Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

Share |

Tree Stump

I would like to get rid of a tree stump that is starting to rot and is just a couple feet from the house, I guess mainly because I'm afraid it will start getting a lot of insects. It is too close to the walkway to have it pulled out. I have a container of Hi-Yield Stump Remover which contains potassium nitrite. You're supposed to drill holes down into the stump, 12 deep, then additional holes 3 down from the top of the stump, connecting with the bottoms of the other holes, then pour the stuff in.

I'm just afraid that rainwater or something will cause some of the stuff to splash on the house, and then the house will begin rotting. What do you think?

Loretta

bubblegummom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

Tree Stump

Rent a stump grinder or hire a guy with a stump grinder. ~30 minutes and it's gone.

More work, but cheaper - take an ax to it.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

Tree Stump

Thanks but it's pretty close to the house on one side and up against the concrete walkway on the other. Can a stump grinder work so close to the walkway?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Tree Stump

Yes a stump grinder will work, but of course it might damage the area surrounding the stump. But what are your options? You don't want to pull it, you are worried about potassium nitrate damaging your house, you don't seem to want to axe it to death. The old method was to drill holes into it, pour in kerosene, wait a couple of days, then light it up and burn it out. But of course that could burn your house down.

I had a number of stumps around my house. Two of them I got rid of using the potassium nitrate method. Two I burned out. One I pulled with my truck. One I axed to death. Take your pick, each method works, none are harmless to the surrounding area.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

Tree Stump

I had a guy with a stump grinder remove three large palm tree stumps that were within a foot or two of my house. No problem.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #6

Tree Stump

Thanks. If I use the potassium nitrite method, is there a season of the year that is better, like when it's not the rainy season?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

Tree Stump

Sodium hydroxide or lye also works-is in many products .I applied some to a smaller stump ,even threw in some epsom salt too and several weeks later it was disinegrated..
and root totally dead too.
hidden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #8

Tree Stump

Thank you for the info, Hidden1!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Tree Stump

And thank you vsheetz and Daniel Holzman (means woodman in German, doesn't it?)
Old 11-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

Tree Stump

If you read the directions with a stump remover product it says to pour the granules into the predrilled holes and then pour boiling water into the holes. Water won't hurt it. I've also heard epson salt does the same thing...probably a little cheaper.

I've also heard of people trying everything (chemical) and nothing works. Sometimes it takes decades for a stump to rot away naturally. Stump grinder or having it dug out (if not too large) is probably the only way to get rid of it quickly.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #11

Tree Stump

Stump grinder is definitely the best way to go. It is possible to rent grinders for DIY but not for the faint of heart. If you want to go with the nitrate in the holes, this can work. Don't worry about it splashing on the house, the nitrate just acts as a food source for bacteria and fungi that do the real work on the stump. It depends on the type of stump. If it was a soft type of wood, it will rot away fast. If it is a hard wood or something with lots of tannin like redwood, the nitrate won't have any effect. Also, keeping it wet after treating with the nitrate is critical. Soak the holes with water over night first then cover with plastic and/or mulch to keep it wet. If it dries out it will never rot.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #12

Tree Stump

What method did you use to remove your stump bubblegummom? Has it worked out alright?

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #13

Tree Stump

large'ish drill bit, drill the crap out of it. at least 4" below grade. pickaxe the remainder. fill with dirt.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Tree Stump

I use a pile of charcoal briquettes on the stump. Light them as I would if they were in the grill, get them hot then spread them out. They will slowly burn/smolder the stump clear down into the ground. Works great.

The only glitch is that you MUST know where utility lines/pipes are located.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote