Tree ID And Possible Transplant? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tree ID and Possible Transplant?

We've got a tree in our front yard that my wife absolutely hates. I also wouldn't mind moving it so that we can widen our front steps and perhaps neaten up the entire entrance to our house. We just moved here late last summer, and everything was pretty overgrown, so we're trying to neaten everything up a bit. We're also having a garage built this summer, so the budget for the gardens is pretty minimal this year.

Anyways...I was wondering if it would be possible to transplant the tree next to the steps, moving it to the far right where the planter bumps out. If transplanting, or even placement are poor ideas, I wouldn't mind hearing that as well! I don't mind some hard work, and if it dies, it's not a big loss either. Does anyone have any tips for transplanting this tree?
Attached Thumbnails
Tree ID and Possible Transplant?-1.jpg   Tree ID and Possible Transplant?-2.jpg   Tree ID and Possible Transplant?-3.jpg  

Advertisement

Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is your wife going to like it when it is moved? If not, and it is a shame, but get rid of it rather than going through all the effort and subjecting it to transplant shock. One bullet through the trunk, so to speak. Or maybe somebody on CL would want it and will come and take it out for you?

If you want to try to move it you want to grab as much of the root ball as possible. Ideally you would want to go all the way out to the drip line but this is not practical so split the difference between it and the trunk all the way around. You will obviously have to disassemble your wall temporarily.

You want to dig down to get as many roots as you can and then get under the tree to get as much of a central taproot as the plant may have. Transfer the root ball to a piece of burlap and gently slide the tree near its new location. Do not underestimate the weight and have a friend or two lined up to help.

The transplant hole should, ideally, be twice the width and depth of the root ball you you are moving. Fill extra space with a nice planting mix and time-released fertilizer or tree pellets or stakes per instructions for size of plant.

Water in immediately then establish a watering schedule leaning toward watering deeply and infrequently. I drip system will help with this. Prune it back to reduce top growth stress and divert energy to transplant functions like establishing new roots.

You might check to see what a tree service would charge to move this for you? You can certainly do it but it is not a casual task to move even a small tree like that.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice. Talked it over with the wife and it might just end up being more effort than it's worth to us. Kind of a shame to just cut it down though. I will keep your advice in mind though as there may be a couple more(smaller) trees for us to move as well
Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 170

It's a weeping cherry, a beautiful specimen, but I agree, not the best location.
nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
It's a weeping cherry, a beautiful specimen, but I agree, not the best location.

With those flowers(?) in the second pic, it is un like any cherry I have ever seen. It does look like one in the first pic.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
With those flowers(?) in the second pic, it is un like any cherry I have ever seen. It does look like one in the first pic.
Apologies! I did not even see the second pic.
chrisn is right! Those don't look like cherry flowers.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Correction.
Based on flower appearance, it is a weeping Mulberry.
The Following User Says Thank You to nanuk For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

I've got a couple of those----

Pull it out---they make a nice accent plant in the right setting----but that spot will never be better for the presence of the Mulberry----

Advertisement