Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Share |

Tomato stem bent, will it heal?

While I was on vacation a tomato plant of mine bent of from it's weight and has a damaged spot from the bend now. Everything a above it is fine and still growing but I'm concerned that the reduced thickness or the damage may inhibit future growth.

Should I be concerned? Will it repair the damage naturally or should I just snip it off?

Picture

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #2

Stake it so it doesn't fall over again. If it lives, it lives. If it dies, snip if off then. Won't harm the rest of the plant either way. Just make sure to use clean shears.

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

From experience I can assure you that it will thrive and possibly do better than the other vines of the plant. The important thing here is to NOT change the current angle by attempting to straighten the plant. You can tie it up to a secure stake to prevent further damage, but do not straighten it out. That will most likely cause it to lose the "flow" of nutrients that has re-established itself in order to survive. Remember - all plants are basically weeds and will survive despite our loving care - usually.

If it does become limp, simply cut it off and set it in wet potting soil. Keep it in a shady area (I use my carport) and out of the wind also. I use Jungle Growth potting soil and have successfully saved identical vines and as well am now using this procedure to start my second crop tomatoes. Good luck and feel free to ask, I may be a mere mortal, but I do have luck with tomatoes.