Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Share |

Is there a way to "gracefully" move these large bushes?

In the not-too-long-term, we'd like to have something of an "alleyway" along this side of the house where we can put the trash, recycling, and a few garden items. In the way are these huge bushes. I'd love to be able to just move them down to the edge of our property line (a few feet to the right of the frame). Is that a fool's errand or is there some hope of having an alley without killing these things?

corsulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Yep, Chainsaw and some muscle. They are beyond their lifespan at this point. All you can do is when you get down to the stumps, use a 4x4 to pull them out, or if you have a friend with a Bobcat, to tear the stumps out of the ground.

Not worth transplanting, since they are garbage bushes, when they get that large.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
JOATMON

Depends on how deep you want to dig. If you do anything before they go dormant for the winter, you will most likely kill them.

Wait until winter and all the leaves are gone (assuming they drop off) Then dig up as much as you can.

I think your going to want to cut it back quite a bit. That part I am NOT an expert on...so hopefully some of the experts will chime in.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Depends on how deep you want to dig. If you do anything before they go dormant for the winter, you will most likely kill them.

Wait until winter and all the leaves are gone (assuming they drop off) Then dig up as much as you can.

I think your going to want to cut it back quite a bit. That part I am NOT an expert on...so hopefully some of the experts will chime in.
The thing is, those type of bushes do not go dormant during Winter. They are Evergreen shrubs, or at this time, well overgrown, due to not being trimmed and kept low and square.

Also nothing will kill them, even if you transplant them, with the exception of Bag Worms. Most likely they are Spruce, Arborvitae, Red Cedar. At the size they are, it would cost more to have a landscaping company come in and pull them for transplanting, then just get rid of them.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #5

Hard to tell from the picture, but It looks like a rhododendron to me. It takes years and years to get that big. You could cut it way back and then move it. It will require a lot if TLC after it is moved.

A close pic of the foliage would help.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

[QUOTE=djlandkpl;1231117]Hard to tell from the picture, but It looks like a rhododendron to me. It takes years and years to get that big. You could cut it way back and then move it. It will require a lot if TLC after it is moved.

Zooming in, it does maybe look now like a Rhododendron, but yep need a better larger pic, since zooming in does not give the best picture.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #7

[QUOTE=gregzoll;1231121]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Hard to tell from the picture, but It looks like a rhododendron to me. It takes years and years to get that big. You could cut it way back and then move it. It will require a lot if TLC after it is moved.

Zooming in, it does maybe look now like a Rhododendron, but yep need a better larger pic, since zooming in does not give the best picture.
Here's the full image
Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #8

It's a rhododendron. It can be moved and it's going to be a lot of work. Might be worth it to visit your local nursery to see how much a new one would cost.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

The problem is that the root ball is as large as the whole diameter of the bush. Even if a Nursery could get in there with a portable tree spade, to move it, it would cost you more than a newer one.

Check around and get some prices, or just trim that one down within reason and maybe try moving it yourself to save some.

When people plant these large shrubs, they never think of how they will look 15, maybe 20 years down the road. We have Weigela along our back fence line, that have been there for ten years, and at the largest size they will get. Those are easier to move than a Rhododendron.

You might get lucky with a small mom & pop lawn care company that has a few muscular guys that could dig it up, drag it over to where you want, then plant in that spot.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #10

Thanks all-

I think I'll most likely begin the long process of convincing wife that these may not be worth saving. We may need to dig up the root ball either way as I'm told these guys keep 'em shallow and I want to set down some brick or pavers here that'll go beyond the "trunks."

I'll see if we can trim these down in the meanwhile. These have probably been in place since the late 70s without a ton of attention.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

I would trim them down a little at a time. Just stand there with a drink in hand, picturing in your head what it would look like trimmed down. Then grab a can of spray paint to mark where you want to trim back, and then go grab some lopping shears, or better yet, use Hedge trimmers like this http://www.lowes.com/Outdoor-Power-E...-10638085_36_#! All you need is a corded unit, unless you plan on using it a lot, then go for the gas powered unit. Check with neighbors first to see if they have one to borrow.

Go around upscale neighborhoods that have landscaping, and look at how those homes have their yards and shrubs trimmed. That may give you an idea how to keep that sucker there but get it down to a more reasonable size.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would not take hedge clippers to a rhodie. They may be easier to move than you think because they are shallow rooted. Up to you whether it is worth it. You will have to cut the root ball to the drip line and get under it twice the depth of the roots if you can. Then, you will need a bobcat with a planting implement on the end to handle the weight or more a few friends and some burlap.

Dig the new holes twice as deep and wide as the root ball. Backfill with nice organic planter mix (rhodies like acid and wood in the soil). Drag the shrubs to the planting holes, plant to grade, fill the hole with more planting mix, and water in thoroughly. Mulch the soil come winter.

Definitely see what new ones go for if these were neglected. Rhodies need some protection from harsh cold winds in brutal climates and it looks like the house is providing that. They may not make it standing out exposed. You might think of something like nice flowering dogwoods as a replacement. Prune them from first planting and you can grow them as either shrubs or small trees. Nothing beats the rich colors of rhodies though.

Last edited by user1007; 08-20-2013 at 04:03 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (08-20-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
K&B Designer

When it cools off to below 70 during the day, dig them up with as much root as you can. Don't plant them too deep, and mulch them well. Spray the foliage with an anti-transpirant like Wilt-Pruf and water the heck out them in their new location through the winter. They might just make it. I've moved bigger shrubs in fall that lived. Fall is just about the best time for transplanting.

Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote