Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #1

Share |

Suggestion for tidying this pond area

Just bought the house in the pic below that came with the pond, need some suggestion as to how to tidy it up with some landscaping to make it "pop"

thx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/IMG_0273.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/IMG_0284.jpg

Last edited by syndicate1; 06-29-2010 at 06:47 PM.
syndicate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicate1 View Post
just bought the house in the pic below that came with the pond, need some suggestion as to how to tidy it up with some landscaping to make it "pop"

thx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/img_0273.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/img_0284.jpg

Suggestion for tidying this pond area-persons-yard.jpg

1: Remove Arborvitae and replace with Nine Bark Diablo
2: Remove Arborvitae and replace with Nine Bark Diablo
3: Remove current plants where Red XX is by the number 3, plant a Red cut leaf Japanese Maple *** (make sure that a Japanese Maple is hardy for where you are in Ontario, if your down by Toronto, your going to be about the same zone as me in Neenah, WI and you should be fine, if you are up by sudbury or farther north, then you may not be able to grow any of the Japanese maples.
4: Remove grasses, leave ferns. Plant hosta where grasses were. Use Hosta August Moon, if you can't find a larger sized August Moon, plant a few of them next to each other.
5: Remove Grasses in this area. Under 3 & 5 on the ground plant Plant Vinca Minor called Illumination. Also in area 5, plant, partly under your new Japanese Maple 1 or more Blue (elgans variety) Hosta.
6: Remove Grasses. Plant Dragons Blood Red Sedum.

Mulch with a dark'ish cedar type of mulch.

How's that sound? Might be too much work....

jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #3

Thank you Jamie....those are wonderful ideas, really appreciate it. I have arranged for all that weed/bush to be cleared out, and then I'll go from there
Old 07-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicate1 View Post
Thank you Jamie....those are wonderful ideas, really appreciate it. I have arranged for all that weed/bush to be cleared out, and then I'll go from there
The Hosta on the left side of the pond looks like it is "olive bailey langdon", that is a nice Hosta, well worth saving even if you decide you don't want it there.

What part of Ontario are you in? Do you know what cold hardiness plants need to be to survive in your area? The plants I see in your photo are all good to around -30F. Japanese maple would be the only one that I mentioned that would be less hardy, more like -20F on more kind of Japanese Maples.

There are dozens of varieties of Japanese Maples in all colors, they are not very common, but they are very neat.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamiedolan For This Useful Post:
syndicate1 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #5

I am in Ottawa Ontario....zone 5a. One tree that is popular around here in the Lilac tree. I do plan to keep the Hosta, I love Hostas
Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #6

If you don't want the plants you're pulling out (can they be move to another part of the yard), try selling them on http://www.craigslist.com. I've sold lots of plants and it's a fun way to make a little cash for mulch and fertilizer!
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #7

A couple of other plants you could try are the tiger eye sumac - very nice colour and leaf shape, cannas do well in the pond as well for some nice height and colour when they bloom (if you prefer the darker colours you could try the ones with burgundy over green leaves) and some japanese solomon seal would tie in nicely with your hosta.
blinkandimgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #8

Here is the transformation. Thx for your suggestions folks
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestion for tidying this pond area-img_2453.jpg   Suggestion for tidying this pond area-img_2454.jpg   Suggestion for tidying this pond area-img_2455.jpg