Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #1

Share |

STC Composter -- are these terrible?

I've been looking at the big spherical STC Composters, and every place that summarily determines they're great seems to be a giant advertisement labeled not-as-such. That's a common thing today: this is an advertisement. Can't tell? Didn't think so.

CNN has been doing this a lot, plenty of "News Coverage" of ridiculous crap like the "T-Payne Microphone" (kid's toy that has AutoTune embedded into it) without slapping "THIS IS AN INFOMERTIAL" on it and presenting it as news. Online, you see stuff like linked--sponsored content or "reviews" written by sites that want to sell you the thing that's being covered.

Outside of this, Lowes and Home Depot are barren of reviews; Amazon is full of terrible reviews. People report you can't get in contact with the company without doing some leg-work to find them, and sometimes they ignore you.

Looks like a fantastic idea executed terribly. Has anyone dropped the cash and confirmed yea or nay?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Had a neighbor that had the tumbler style but I can't recall what model it was.

It was holding up for the 3 years I was there.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Big tumblers are common, for example this one has better reviews.

The one I'm talking about is the only big friggin' ball I've seen. Being a sphere has obvious advantages if you're not something with a pulse.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I have seen some that have many sides and a trap door. They seem more sturdy than some of those spherical things.

I have to interject that there is still something to be said for a nice, contained, compost pile, and a pitch fork to turn it. Such a schema has access to natural soil and airborne bacteria that break the compost down faster. With those contained units you will probably have to add bacteria or enzymes.

You can see what is going on and it will not smell if you turn it regularly.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote