Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2010, 01:57 AM   #1

Share |

Starting the Garden

I am starting to plant the veggies that can take a bit of the cold. Onions, Lettuce, and what ever comes to mind. I throw some plastic over the raised beds and I can start pretty early here. I already have a few things coming up that I must of planted late last fall.
So my question is what is the best fertilizer for veggies. I mixed up the soil from last year and the beds are all ready to go. Should I just plant the seeds and than wait to throw some liquid fertilizer in. I am kind of testing the water out this year see what I can get to grow. Any ideas.

william duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Starting the Garden

Do you know about the N-P-K ratio that is marked on every bag of fertilizer in the US? As I remember, the first number is about nitrogen, the second phosphorous and the last potassium. Each has a different plant growth function and also reacts differently depending on your soil conditions.

I would aim for something close to 5-10-5 to get your veges started. If leafy veges are what you lust for? Boost the nitrogen.

I would invest in a soil analysis or at least buy a home test kit from your local nursery.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

Starting the Garden

I do a little bit of everything but I thought I would look into starting what I could now, well mid next week when it hits the 60s. I usually use liquid fertilizer I will get some dry 5-10-5 and see how that does and get a bag of nitrogen too boost. My soil now is mulch from dump, topsoil, and liquid (Miracle Grow).

Thanks
Sdsester
william duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Starting the Garden

Up-Down-All Around.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #5

Starting the Garden

I'm not a fan of chemical fertilizers for vegetables.

I use compost mixed into the planting hole- 50-50 mix with the existing soil. As the plants start to grow, you can make a liquid 'tea' with the compost to act as additional fertilizer. I get great results with this, and no chemical fertilizer.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote