Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Share |

Starting fresh with an overgrown garden

We bought a house this past winter that has a fenced in garden, an area of about 12' x 20'

Its been neglected probably the last 2 or 3 years and there's just tall grass, weeds, etc all fenced in. I've been going through with a hoe and basically just ripping everything up, but it's pretty slowgoing. Short of tractor equipment, is there some other gardening hand tool to aid in this process or am I just going to be doing this with the hoe for a couple hours a day for the next few weeks?

halfamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #2

Good luck trying to do it that way.
I can tell you what's worked for us.
We had the same problum. I decided to go with a raised garden instead of just trying to fight the lawn getting into the garden and all the old grass and weeds.
I just mowed it all down, and made the raised garden with pressure treated 6 X 6's.
We then ordered a truck load of compost.
Everyone told us that was a big mistake because straight compost would burn all the roots.
It could not be further from the truth.
The plants grew 6" a week.
We had tomatos until Nov. and could not give away the extra veg. fast enough.
We keep all the food scraps in a Folgers coffee can and dump them on it, and in the fall when I collect all the leaves I dumb them on there.
Work them in with a Mantis tiller and once again it requires minimal watering, almost no weeds and the new plants are shooting up.

I can weed wack right up againt the sides of the 6X6's.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
JOATMON

Half....where you do you live? (one of the reasons we ask you to put in your location)

Personally....I would be using a shovel and pic....the hoe is the hard way...

Start at one corner and just dig it up....if you use a flat blade pick, you can basically just scalp the lawn...get a corner started...you basically chop the grass just below the deck. It's a good workout but you get most of it up easier....

Then go back with the shovel and turn the soil....or rent a tiller. This way you get all the old stuff out....air out the dirt....

Rake smooth...then consider rolling....you can rent the roller at HD.

Then decide what you want...put in any borders then start planting. I'm a fan of sod....instant lawn...and typically looks better.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #4

They asked how to plant a garden and your telling them to plant sod, Hmm.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

I can tell you what works for me..put away the hoe, especially not fat ones, and use a garden fork or pitch fork.
Its labour. A labour of love. Just dig in section by section loosening weed roots as you go. Yank and heave them out. Be gentle with any plants you want to save. Dig them up ..separate the weeds and replant.

To prevent grass from creeping back in, dig a deep edge around the perimeter of the garden.

There is no getting around garden work..if all this seems daunting, maybe just grass it over

Last edited by creeper; 05-31-2013 at 06:41 PM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
They asked how to plant a garden and your telling them to plant sod, Hmm.
That is what I get for trying to multi-task....I missed that little detail...

Ok....ignore the sod....and hoe.....besides, hoe's are trouble around here...

I would use a shovel...you should be able to dig up that whole patch in less than 2 hours...then it's easy to pull out the grass....

If you want stuff to really grow and keep out the grass....after you have pulled out all the living stuff....rent a tiller...till it up...clean out the rest of the stuff it digs up...

Then...start tossing in a few bags of amend...compost and what ever else it might need...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #7

no shovels ..definitely no hoes..never any hoes..I don't want anybody to ever even mention that gardening implement again..

Just use the garden fork.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #8

I'll 2nd the suggestions of renting a power tiller.

My neighbor rents one from the big box store each year for his garden... makes quick work (afternoon anyway) of an area that size.

If it was a garden, then it should not have too many rocks to contend with... you might want to do a few spot checks to make sure there is no irrigation/etc to destroy.