Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
LGF

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Sprinkler hose leaks

Periodically, I find the ground wet from an underground sprinkler hose which has sprouted a pinhole leak. I have to dig up the hose and splice a new section of hose in which is a major pain in the neck. The leaks appear anywhere in the line and no stones or roots are near the leak. Is there a reason this happens? The hose is standard black plastic hose that sprinkler companies used when the system was installed and it is fairly old. Still, I don't see a reason for pinhole leaks to happen unless the hose was substandard to begin with. Is there any way to avoid this? I'm a newbie here so please advise what I can do to prevent this from happening regularly. Thanks.

LGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sprinkler hose leaks

Where are you?

And how old is old? The pipe, possibly flex polyethelene, may have just lived out its life and you may have to bite the bullet and replace it. Do you have a piece of it with markings left? Or can you describe thickness and feel when you squeeze it? Wall thickness?

Does it freeze where you are? Was it buried deep enough to avoid the freeze? Do you blow your irrigation system free of water at the end of each season?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
LGF

Rewards Points: 10

Sprinkler hose leaks

Thanks for getting back to me. I live in NJ to answer your first question. It gets cold here in winter but usually just below freezing. The hose in question was a good 10" deep. Yes, I do blow the lines out each autumn and shut the system down. Wall thickness seems to be about 1/16" and I replace it each time with the same hose from a sprinkler supply so my guess is that it has a life as you suggest. I believe the system is 20 years old. I just don't understand why a small slit develops and becomes a pinhole leak. Any further thoughts?
LGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sprinkler hose leaks

Polyethelene, I am guessing, pipe just aged. Replace it. If you do not have major freeze issues use SCH 40 or even 80 PVC if you want to be safe.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote