Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Share |

spraying apricot & cherry trees

This is our second season with apricot and cherry trees and so far it has been a learn-as-we-go experience. This year, we're dealing with tiny black specks on the leaves (I think they're aphids?), and tiny caterpillars. We did not apply any type of insecticide during its dormant period because we didn't know we needed it.

So what can we do at this point? The cherry tree is blossoming, so I assume that we need to wait to spray it... but when is it safe to start spraying it?

The apricot tree doesn't have any blossoms yet, but the leaves are starting to emerge. Can we spray that one now, before it blossoms?

Shushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

You have 2 problems ( at least) The first is black spot( fungus, not aphids)

http://www.gardenguides.com/96389-bl...uit-trees.html

which can be controlled with repeated fungicide sprays starting in early spring, like a month ago. The second is tent caterpillar which can be controlled now with an insecticide spray, it will not damage blossoms .

google is you're friend

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Next year, plan on a dormant oil spray. It is inexpensive and will save you lots in fungicides and insecticides.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #4

I did try Google. Some sites seemed to say I couldn't spray either tree now, and some said that I could spray the apricot but not the cherry. Some of the sites contradicted each other. With a toddler to take care of, I was trying to save a little bit of time and try this forum, since others here have been so helpful.

I think my best bet will be to take some sealed samples to a local nursery to be safe.
Shushka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apricot, cherry, pests, tree