Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Spotted Leaves

See this image and this image for spots that have appeared on the leaves of some of the plants in my garden. Do you recognize the appearance of these spots?

What is causing them? And, more importantly, how can I rid them or assure they do not destroy the plant?

I have tried an anti-fungal spray from Home Depot, but it doesn't appear to do anything for these spots.

I'd appreciate any input you have to share.

Thank you!

aumanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Spotted Leaves

It looks to me like sun or heat damage. Other then the odd leave or two the plant looks healthy. Not a big deal, just water a little more thoroughly.

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Spotted Leaves

Thank you for your reply. I very much appreciate the input. I will say that this spring and early summer have been on the wetter side. Everything around the house is quite lush. Typically, things are pretty brown this time of year, though this year is very green and plants are doing well. I'm not sure about adding even more water to the equation.
aumanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #4

Spotted Leaves

I love polite people.

Alas, I gave it my best shot, but don't worry Stephen or Chris are right around the corner. One of them will know
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 560

Spotted Leaves

Looks like insect damage. Turn the leaf over and see if there's any signs of bugs or damage.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,194

Spotted Leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Looks like insect damage. Turn the leaf over and see if there's any signs of bugs or damage.

absolutly
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Spotted Leaves

I resent the woman from Canada calling me and bubba Chris tree huggers. I expect she is reeling because one of us lives in City that has a team that knows how to play hockey. Ehh?

I did not see an image but agree if you are seeing any sort of damage in the middle of leaves you probably have some sort of insect problem. But, even if it is a fungus? Heat stress would usually appear from the outside of the leaves inward.

Most infestations of any kind (save for maybe caterpillars) tend to happen on the underside of tree leaves. You could spray the surface of leaves with truly unholy stuff and never accomplish anything. You have to make sure you spray the undersides of the leaves.

There are, of course, scale insects that attach themselves to tree bark and boring insects that attack through the bark and trunk. A library card and demonstrated library fines will discourage the most boring of insects.

Seriously? I moved from one of America's first urban forests to Chicago to live on one of the nation's most gorgeous public park lands. Lincoln Park has lost a lot of trees over the past few years because a beetle was allowed into the country hiding in foreign good crops. The arborists are on the situation but only time will tell how many trees older than I will ever be will be lost.

Which finally brings me to point. Your community---city, county, regional, university, state level---will have an arborist on staff or contracted. If not, Google arborists that work in the private sector to help you. If this is a neighborhood wide problem, the arborists will be concerned. Yes, all tree huggers are leftwing and wear flannel all year long. I certainly do.

You may not be able to resolve this with Home Desperate consumer marketed sprays but start by saturating the bottoms of leaves. I think you will find calling a spray pro more effective and cheaper in the long run. I was once fearless of heights, ladders, and climbing trees. Even if she is blonde, fashion model class, dumb and cooperative, I am not climbing trees to rescue a stupid cat (and smart ones do know how to get down) or spray the underside of leaves ever again.

I did have dog that sort of hopped to climb trees. "Steve, you know your dog is climbing that tree in a weird way!" "Yes, look higher, she is chasing a dumb cat!"

Trees are good in so many ways beyond such entertainment value. I live degrees cooler in the summer than most people just because of them. I want to believe I breathe cleaner air thanks to their cleansing capabilities. I fully support having more of them over acres of lawn. Feed them, spray them, prune them and they do their own maintenance things save for leaf drop or needles. And they are beautiful.

Last edited by user1007; 06-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Spotted Leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
It looks to me like sun or heat damage. Other then the odd leave or two the plant looks healthy. Not a big deal, just water a little more thoroughly.
Deep watering and feeding young deciduous trees is, as with any plant, the best overall defense. Over feeding a conifer with nitrogen will stress and kill it.

Infestations of bugs or fungi that are not natural to their environment does require intervention though. They will deal with rest quite naturally.

Last edited by user1007; 06-27-2013 at 07:40 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #9

Spotted Leaves

I resent the woman from Canada calling me and bubba Chris tree huggers. I expect she is reeling because one of us lives in City that has a team that knows how to play hockey. Ehh?

I suspect it is you who is resentful because I misspelled your name?? My apologies Steven.. WE WAS ROBBED...However, I suppose credit given, where credit due..The Blackhawks are the rightful owners,,,for now..

And since your computer failed to compute, you could not have realized the op was speaking of a garden plant and not a tree...Please do not accuse me of calling you and chris vegheads.
As a courtesy and to prevent you from going on at great length about something you know entirely nothing about, I shall post the image for you.

Your welcome....Your ever loving Canadian Fan !!

Last edited by creeper; 06-28-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,194

Spotted Leaves

leaf miner, most likely
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 274

Spotted Leaves

It is insect damage, use good quality sprays and give water properly.

alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote