Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #1

Share |

Soil/Seed experts!!! I have a soil report! Please help!

Hello all,

I live in Ogden Utah (about 40 miles north of Salt Lake City Utah) and I am going to be building a house next fall. The property is about 1 acre, and has a huge sandy hill. The biggest problem is that the sand blows all over and not only gets into all of the neighbors lots/homes but will get into my home. come spring we will be running a sprinkler line up the hill to try and get some foliage growing.

So, we have thought of hydroseeding or doing a jute fabric and then spreading seeds (leaning toward hydroseeding) but does anyone know of any kind of seed/ground cover I could try and plant? Again, the hill is a steep slope, full sun, dry at times without the sprinklers going, and sandy. I would really like to just find some kind of seed that will put something grassy or wild flowers. Below is the soil report for the hill.

Thanks in advance

Soil Test Report
USU Analytical Labs

Utah State University

and
Logan, Utah 84322-4830

Fertilizer Recommendations
(435) 797-2217

(435) 797-2117 (FAX)

www.usual.usu.edu

Date Received:
1/6/2012

Date
1/12/2012

Identification:
HILLSIDE

Crop to be Grown:
Garden

Soil Test
Interpretations
Recommendations

Texture
Sand

pH
Normal

Salinity - ECe
Normal

Phosphorus - P
Low
1-2 lbs P2O5/1000 sq ft

Potassium - K
Low
2 lbs K2O/1000 sq ft

Nitrate-Nitrogen - N mg/kg
2-4 lbs N/1000 sq ft*

Zinc - Zn

Iron - Fe mg/kg

Copper - Cu

Manganese - Mn

Sulfate-Sulfur - S

Organic Matter

SAR

StevenDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #2

I'd be asking these questions on the Scotts web site.
Grass is not going to grow unless you add some organic matter to that soil.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

How steep is the slope? How does it relate to placement of the house? Can you provide pics or a quick plot plan?

Lawn seating for the Concord Pavilion in Northern California is planted in a heavy sand mix. Irrigation and fertilizer budgets are high.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

I will go by and grab a couple pics of the slope after work and post later today. The incline is pretty steep (could be steeper but pretty steep still). Attached should be a rough version of where the house should sit in relation to the hill. (done in "paint" program so it is pretty rough).
Attached Thumbnails
Soil/Seed experts!!! I have a soil report! Please help!-hillside-paint-version.jpg  
Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The other challenges with turf on slopes, in addition to feeding and watering, are just moving equipment like mowers around.

I will await pics but I would encourage you to be thinking about some nice groundcovers and drip irrigation for the sake of erosion and maintenance.

Your other option is to reduce the slope with retaining walls and things.

Hydroseeding really is a great option and a better one than sod in my opinion. Although most commonly used for turfgrass applications, you can put other seeds into the slurry for groundcovers and things although the typical way of planting slopes is with some sort of landscape cloth or mesh and flats of small groundcover plants.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

Thanks all!!!! I ended up getting in touch with the county agent, and he was able to help me out. Thanks again.