Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Shed install in wet backyard

I bought the Suncast 98-Cubic Foot Horizontal Blowmolded Shed (Amazon link with pictures) to install in my backyard. My problem or hesitation is that the ground in my backyard gets soaking wet when it rains a lot.

I'm on an end unit home and right next to my house is a big open space that consists of mostly a mound of dirt where not much grass grows. I suspect they placed things there like excess cement and such when the development was first built. Water flows right down from that mound into my backyard, and it doesn't really go anywhere from there. And the back of my backyard slopes up to a line of trees behind my fence, so I can't put the shed there without excavating some dirt and building a retaining wall of some sort (which I don't want to do).

My question is as follows: will I have a problem if I place my shed along my fence on the side of my backyard closest to this open space? Can I just dig under the place I want to put the shed and place several inches of rocks for drainage, and then place the shed on top of that? Or will it sink or get muddy when it rains?

What would you recommend as the best installation procedure for my situation?

Thanks a lot. I hope someone can help me as the longer the shed stays boxed up in my basement, the longer my cat has to get to it.

Last edited by jasonruns; 05-17-2013 at 07:47 AM.
jasonruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #2

Set post and a platform with the top of it at least 6" up off the ground.
Those plastic sheds are near imposable to keep level enough to have the doors stay plumb and will tip over or blow apart in a stong wind so having it attached to something solid will give it 1/2 a chance.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Set post and a platform with the top of it at least 6" up off the ground.
Those plastic sheds are near imposable to keep level enough to have the doors stay plumb and will tip over or blow apart in a stong wind so having it attached to something solid will give it 1/2 a chance.
How would you set the posts? Could you do it without concrete? And would you still put rocks under the shed even if the platform was 6" off the ground?

Thanks
jasonruns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drainage problem, shed, sheds