Sealing Inside Of Wood Planter - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Sealing Inside of Wood Planter

I just bought this beautiful antique water bucket, with some great ironwork on it. I'd like very much to use it to plan an herb garden. It is evident, from the wood and the ironwork that this piece has been outside for most of its lifetime. I am not sure what the finish is, or what type of wood, but it is well prepared against the elements. I am worried though about filling it with wet soil. Is there anything I can do to protect it from rotting from the inside out? Should I coat it with tar or something?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Advertisement

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #2

I just did something similar and used a sheet of 6mil plastic. Then cut some holes in the bottom for drainage and filled it up with 3-4" of rock and topped with potting soil. In theory it should hold up just fine

Advertisement

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #3

Ok, but you didn't do anything to actually attach it to the planter?

Can you see the plastic at all? If not, doesn't that mean that soil is touching wood somewhere?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

It was stapled to the planter box and the plastic wraps around the top of the box. I personally felt it should be trimmed just above the soil instead of wrapping but my roommate was insistent... If I had the time & money I would make a copper cap for it (aesthetic choice) instead of the plastic, but that's just me.

Last edited by cellophane; 04-12-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: picture
Old 04-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

Excellent suggestion. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #6

If you hit up your local garden center (Local, not Box Store) and ask them for advice you should get some good advice on how to go about it.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
Totally screwed together

The problem with 6 mill plastic is that it will last 6 month tops in the sun. You need to protect it from UV. Stapling it to the inside, then covering it with copper foil will protect it and keep out slugs and snails.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

I had great luck with my over/under pallet planter using liquid rubber as the sealer for the inside of the planter.

my video is here:
VegasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You know, plastic planter liners come in just about any size and shape imaginable even though retail outlets cannot carry them all. Why reinvent a wheel or discover fire here? Measure the interior and then see if your real, not box store, nursery or a florist will order you something if they don't already stock something. Or look online.

You could also fiberglass the interior but this would be a project and if you have not worked with the cloth/matting and materials before you should read up and what to expect. The danger with this that you keep the container from swelling and contracting as it seems to have for ages. You could coat it with tar or some other roofing material but same problem or the material will crack on you so you add a regular maintenance task to your list. Stuff is not the greatest for plants either although a layer or two would not hurt anything.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 03-15-2012 at 06:27 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote