Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Rodent damaged pear tree :(

Hello everyone.

A hungry rabbit has made my 2.5 year old pear tree his snack by eating it's bark. I did have 2 of those plastic trunk collars but due to the snow pack there was still enough height to do some damage.

Will it survive? Is there anything I can do in the spring to help it?

I have now circled it with wire and set a trap.

mlijoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Is the bark eaten all the way around?

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 178
Send a message via Yahoo to curtd

I know this question was posted along ago...Stray cat used our young plum tree as a scratching post. Tore up the bark pretty bad. That was 2 years ago. Plum tree survived
curtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 83

Better way to protect a young tree is to get two sections of gutter covers, the kind that are made of metal mesh and curved. Use a few cable ties to clap them around the tree trunk. They come in 3' or 4' lengths.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #5

Well now that spring has FINALLY sprung, the damage has NOT killed either my pear or plum tree!!! A couple of lower branches however have been damaged beyond self-healing and don't believe will come back.

That's a great tip about the gutter covers. I did have those plastic type covers all the way up the trunk, however the snow pack was so high that even that wasn't enough!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #6

So i've cut the lower branches that were so damaged they died. I now have new shoots and not sure what to do with them, let them grow or snip them?
Attached Thumbnails
Rodent damaged pear tree :(-new-image.jpg   Rodent damaged pear tree :(-2014-06-04-12-37-18-2-.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

cut them off
Old 06-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #8

Any harm in NOT cutting them off?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlijoi View Post
Any harm in NOT cutting them off?
No. The tree will self heal itself. At that height of the damaged area. It is hard to see that a rabbit chewed on it. Something else may be. You can take a better picture and go into your local place that sells plants and trees and see what they think.

That does not mean take the pictures into Lowe's or Home Depot. Take the pictures to a real place that sells plants and trees.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
No. The tree will self heal itself. At that height of the damaged area. It is hard to see that a rabbit chewed on it. Something else may be. You can take a better picture and go into your local place that sells plants and trees and see what they think.

That does not mean take the pictures into Lowe's or Home Depot. Take the pictures to a real place that sells plants and trees.

If there was snow on the ground, the rabbits could easily have done this. It is best to remove sucker growth as it just robs nutrients from the rest of the plant.

http://www.starkbros.com/blog/fruit-...water-sprouts/

Last edited by chrisn; 06-05-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #11

Was just browsing around, and reading this thread made me think I want some fruit trees in the next place I'm staying just have a little bit of a follow on question, sorry if this is not on topic, but how long do you recon until the tree on the pictures will yield fruit?

Thanks!
/Pat
Pat Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Martin View Post
Was just browsing around, and reading this thread made me think I want some fruit trees in the next place I'm staying just have a little bit of a follow on question, sorry if this is not on topic, but how long do you recon until the tree on the pictures will yield fruit?

Thanks!
/Pat
Pear tree's take 4-6yrs to produce fruit, and that depends on how well they were able to grow (over/under watering, ect). Most nurseries sell them at 1-2yrs old.
r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlijoi View Post
Well now that spring has FINALLY sprung, the damage has NOT killed either my pear or plum tree!!! A couple of lower branches however have been damaged beyond self-healing and don't believe will come back.
That means nothing.. When a rodent eats all the bark off a tree in a "ring" pattern, its called "girdling".
Contrary to popular belief, tree's don't transport nutrients inside the wood trunk of the tree.. (the part you burn for firewood).. Instead, water and nutrients are transported by a thin slimy layer just underneath the bark called the Vascular Cambrium if I recall correctly.. (You might want to google that because I might have the name wrong)..

When rodents girdle the tree and eat out the Cambrium section, the tree will die.. If done during the winter, the tree may survive most of the summer but by fall, you'll see signs of it not doing well...

Quote:
That's a great tip about the gutter covers. I did have those plastic type covers all the way up the trunk, however the snow pack was so high that even that wasn't enough!
Rodents are not eating your trees because they want to.. They're eating them because they have to in order to survive.
A 22 caliber rifle to keep the population under control during the summer and a couple of 50 lb bags of food during rough winters will save your trees from attack.

PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bark, chew, damage, rabbit