Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repair a dead lawn?

Hello, I have a small backyard and about 12x12 size lawn. It is completely dead. It grew crab grass and we tried a ton of things to get rid of it then gave up. Now the lawn is completely dead and brown. Am I able to do anything to repair it, or will I need to dig it all out and start over?

iankrznarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Repair a dead lawn?

It sounds like you should start over. The good news is it is a small area. Look at prior posts for details. However, if everything including the weeds are dead? What killed them? Or did I read the post wrong and just what you had hoped was to be turfgrass is gone?

You should probably get an inexpensive soil test before going forward. A soil lab will tell you how to take the samples. It could save you a bunch in the long run.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Repair a dead lawn?

definitely try to find out what killed the grass... could be some herbicide that would also kill your next lawn. Hopefully, as the other poster said, it's because you used an anti-crab grass herbicide on a lawn filled with crab grass.

12x12 isn't a giant area so it's best to dig it out, add a nice layer of fresh topsoil and reseed.... then water water water
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,014

Repair a dead lawn?

A soil test is a great idea and the only way to come up with a plan.
This time of year it's common for everything to die out.
With that small a lot I would kill everything with Round up and start over. Check out this web site for the very best advice.
It's all they do.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/common/tem...ageId=19300170
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lawn care